Chapter 1

─── ⋆⋅☼⋅⋆ ───

Slamming down a cup of milk like it owed you money, you raced to grab your school bag. Shoes halfway on, a knock interrupted your high-speed morning routine. Opening the door, you were swooped up by Hyunsu, who pulled you into the elevator as if it were a getaway car.

"We're pulling off the late entrance again," he declared, nonchalantly munching on a bread snack. "Oh, apologies for not coordinating our grand entrance with the Academy Awards committee," you shot back, rolling your eyes. Arriving at school, he dropped you at your classes before zipping away to his own.

"So, did your personal chauffeur bring you today?" Inhye teased. "Correction, he's my personal chauffeur without the fancy hat and gloves. Very exclusive," you corrected, giving her a playful head smack. "Come on, just date already. The romantic tension is more intense than a K-drama finale," she urged, eyes rolling like a roulette wheel. You and Inhye became BFFs this year, bonding faster than a viral cat video.

The bell finally rescued you from the clutches of biology, and, let's be real, your growling stomach. Parting ways with Inhye, you headed to Hyunsu's class, only to discover he was MIA. Dude, seriously? You don't play hide-and-seek when I'm in snack crisis mode." As you peeked into the class, your eyes fell on a boy with his head down, fiddling with something in his hand –  "Hyunsu?" you called out. The boy jumped, hurriedly stashing his stuff in the locker and turning around. "What's going on?" you interrogated, arms crossed. "Nothing, what are you talking about?" he shrugged, wrapping his arms around your shoulders. "Come on, leys go get ice cream,my treat " he proposed, successfully coaxing a smile from you.

School was smooth sailing, but you were crossing your fingers that social services wouldn't start playing detective. I mean, who needs a paperwork party? You've been living with your aunt for a while now, ever since your parents either vanished into thin air or played an unfortunate game of hide and seek, you never really got to the truth off it but you were more than fine. Adding to the absurdity, your aunt couldn't officially adopt you thanks to some bureaucratic nonsense. Talk about throwing a curveball into the family album! 

"There's a fresh face in my class," Hyunsu declares, "Smack in the middle of the academic telenovela." You, nonchalantly enjoying your ice cream, quip, "Mid-year transfer? Bold move." "Yeah, he transferred today. I'm thinking of going to talk to him," he says, beaming. "My Hyunsu, the protagonist's best friend. Look at you, adulting and stuff," you mockingly congratulate, giving him a playful back pat. He spots the new kid by the vending machine.                                  "You know what? I'll tag along with Inhye. Why not go and share your wisdom with the new guy?"

"Really? Don't you want your personal bodyguard?" he jokes, grabbing your wrists as you half-heartedly push him."No, just zip it and go. Besides, I've got my Ph.D. in Navigating School Hallways," you declare, nonchalantly shrugging off his hands."Sure you do," he smirks, affectionately ruffling your hair before making a swift getaway.

The rest of the day sailed smoothly, and to be honest, the next morning was a breeze too. However, the next evening, you find yourself sitting with Hyunsu in your house, and he is entirely drenched in blood. How you stumbled upon him was an unusual tale. It happened during dispersal when most students had already left.You went to his class, but he wasn't there. "Umm, excuse me, do you know where Hyunsu is?" you asked a boy with spectacles. "I-I don't k-know what you are t-talking about," he stammered, rushing out like he'd seen a ghost. What's up with him? But before he disappeared, he turned around and whispered, "washroom."You knew something was off. When you rushed into the washroom, there he was, leaning against the wall, looking lifeless and, well, quite bloody. 

─── ⋆⋅☼⋅⋆ ───