⠀ ⠀ ⠀ IX. we exist to weep. we exist to share our helplessness

THE MAIDENS' DORMITORIES WERE located beneath the roof of the main Gothic castle, scaled down with sloping ceilings, while the boys retained all the space of their room, being accommodated on one of the lower floors

The only thing that had changed over the years was that Delilah's bed and wardrobe had disappeared when she had moved into her own room in fifth year, and the thought of having to leave that room in a year for someone new to occupy it was alienating.

There were her pictures, sketches and studies adorning the cream walls; her herbs and roses hanging from the ceiling to dry; her books piled against the wall; her tarot cards still open on her dresser from the last reading.

Alethea drew her legs closer to her body, hugging her knees with her arms and leaning against the wall on which her bed stood. Her dorm room had been the only home she'd had since her father's passing, and the thought of having to leave it soon and permanently return to the old manor made her throat tighten.

She laughed into the empty room, laughing at the banality of her thoughts. In autumn she was already worrying about what would happen in summer, even though she didn't even know if she would be able to graduate at all.

Her eyes closed. She should probably sleep, after all, had to get up in three hours to go to the library. The thought crossed her mind that the short time she had left to sleep wouldn't be worth it, and Alethea considered whether she should bury her nose in a book about alchemy.

Nevertheless, her eyes darted to the door as someone knocked on the dark wood; confused for it was well past curfew and no one dared go out - and it was an unfeasible hour.

Her feet touched the cold parquet as she rose and walked slowly to the door, opening it hesitantly. The night guards must be patrolling the lower floors, the absence of sulphurous cold told her that.

But no one was standing in front of it. The corridor was empty and every other door was locked; not a sound was to be heard. No one seemed to be awake, no one seemed to have knocked, and perhaps she had imagined it all - she had once read that insomnia could cause hallucinations. Alethea thought about screaming, but didn't want to make any sounds and attract things that wouldn't let her go.

As she was about to close the door, her eyes fell on a dark cardboard box standing right before her. It was silently waiting for her to take it, and as she wanted to get back to her room as quickly as possible and curiosity got the better of her, she did so, not realising how stupid this action was.

The box was heavy in her hands and as she closed the door behind her, sheltered in her room, she heard a soft purr that had been absent before. Her eyes widened and Alethea placed the box on her bed, quickly removing the lid.

Looking up at her with golden eyes, she discovered a black cat with fur as pure as the darkness itself. With the condescending and annoyed look that every black cat possessed.