032. violent sleeper

"Okay, babies, I-- I need to ask you something. And if you guys aren't okay with it, you can tell me." Sam says as the three sit in the motel room.

"I'm not sleeping in the same bed as Ophi. She's a very violent sleeper." Libby states.

"Yeah. She always kicks me in the head." Evie pouts. "I don't even fall asleep by her feet. She's an aristocrat."

"Ari--" Sam frowns. "I-- I think the word you're looking for is acrobat." He tells the slightly younger girl.

"Tomato, tomahto." Evie rolls her eyes.

"Not really." Sam denies. "I-- we'll get to that later. The-- the thing I'm gonna ask you guys has nothing to do with Ophi."

"Good. Cause she can hit really hard when she's asleep. That's where a lot of my bruises would come from." Libby says.

"Noted." Sam mumbles. "Uh... so, um... you, uh... you remember how I mentioned me marrying Lissy?"

"Yeah." Libby nods, Evie also nodding.

"Well, uh... I-- I did ask her. To marry me." Sam informs. He tries to gauge their reactions, but they both just stare at him, waiting for him to continue. "I just... how do you two feel about that?"

"Okay." Evie shrugs.

"O-okay?" Sam asks and the girl nods.

"Does it matter how we feel?" Libby asks.

"It always matters how you two feel, honey." Sam says. "Would you two be okay if we got married? I know you-- you have these really complicated emotions with the whole mom/step mom thing, but... but we can work on those. And Larissa would never try to overstep any boundaries. She-- it's not like she's gonna make you call her 'mom' or anything. Nothing would really change."

"Right." Libby mumbles. "Can I just think about it?"

"I-- yeah. Yeah, sure." Sam nods.

Libby gets up and walks out. Sam quietly sighs, combing a hand through his hair. Evie frowns a little at his stress, the girl feeling bad for him.

"I'm okay with it." Evie tells him. "I meant the "okay.""

"You're really okay with it?" Sam asks her. "You're not just saying it because you think it's what I want to hear?"

"I never do that." Evie frowns. Sam gives her a look. "Whatever." She mumbles. "But... I am okay with it. I like Rissy. Long as this doesn't turn into a Cinderella or Snow White situation, I'll be good."

"She's not gonna be some wicked evil stepmother." Sam assures.

"I know." Evie says. "I still wish mommy was here, though."

"I understand." Sam sadly smiles at her. "C'mere." He holds his arms out. Evie stands up and walks into his arms, wrapping her arms around his shoulders. Sam tightly hugs her, kissing her head.

Libby goes into the other motel room where everybody else is, having been informed of Sam wanting to be alone to talk to his twins.

"Hey, Beth." Larissa greets.

"Hi." She mumbles, not paying her much attention. "I need you." She grabs Ophelia's hand, dragging her out of the room.

"Oh. I-- my milkshake." Ophelia pouts, but lets her cousin drag her out, shutting the door on the way out.

"Must've gone super well." Jacob quietly quips. Natalie smacks him in the arm.

~ ~ ~

Libby and Ophelia are sitting on the swings at a park that's down the block from the motel.