Chapter 3: The Marshal and The King

(Brugge, Kingdom of Brugge, Northern Kingdoms, Witcher World)

--------------------------------

(Aethan I Jaenerys of Cidaris POV)

--------------------------------

Aethan was within the Castle of Brugge, he was at a table with King Venzlav, they were enjoying a silent cup of wine. As Aethan had learned that King Venzlav was a solitary person, preferring relative silence to any loud or long conversations. But when at last they'd both finished their cups, and Aethan waved off a refill, Venzlav got to business.

''So, what can I do for you?'' King Venzlav asked him directly.

''Nothing, I'm here to meet a man.'' Says Aethan, and the surprise on Venzlav's face is evident, though it's quickly replaced by a knowing smile.

''Your here for Marshal Vissegard. You're not the first, but no one's been able to recruit him. Not me, not Vizimir, not Foltest, and everyone in between. You're welcome to try your luck, but you'll need more than you have if you have a hope in hell of convincing him. Even those who can sway him, cannot convince him.'' Venzlav tells him.

''I have more than a few carrots for this particular horse.'' Aethan says and Venzlav chuckles with amusement.

''So did Vizimir and Foltest, Vissegard ate them, thanked them, and sent them on their way.'' Says Venzlav.

''Then it's a good thing I've got variety.'' Aethan replies.

''There is something I would like to discuss with you, the Cintran refugees here take up a lot of space, if you can't convince the Marshal, at least try and convince some of them to go. Less refugees means we don't have to spend as much on food, medicines, and other new things.'' Says Venzlav.

''I suppose I can try at least.'' Aethan says.

''That's all I ask of you King Aethan.'' Says Venzlav.

''I'll see you before I leave the city.'' Aethan decides, standing up and shaking hands with the King before departing.

--------------------------------

(POV Shift: Vissegard, Former Marshal of the Cintran Army)

--------------------------------

Another King came to call.

First Venzlav, then Vizimir, and then Foltest, now King Aethan tried his luck.

If he was honest, Vissegard would not be opposed to joining King Aethan, his grandmother was Princess Calliene, sister of Queen Calanthe. Vissegard remembered her well, Calanthe never quite forgave her mother for sending Calliene off to Cidaris, but Calanthe enjoyed her nephew's company like no other save Princess Pavetta. Most importantly, King Aethan was like Calanthe, he was a progressive ruler according to merchants, he'd invited both the Cianfinelli and Vivaldi Banks to Cidaris to set up branches and had recruited a Master Elven Swordsmith to smith for his armies. Oh, he tried keeping it quiet, but word spread fast amongst merchants and thus Brugge. That showed a rare tolerance of non-humans, and Vissegard himself appreciated that. In times past, he'd employed Elves, Dwarves, and Halflings as couriers, scouts, and spies. Their smaller builds than humans gave them a natural agility and grace that fit those roles well.

More importantly, the Dwarves were good business. They'd haggle and bicker on prices, but if they agreed to a contract, they stuck to it. They made some of the best swords and would accept payment in the form of materials. It was a good relationship until the 1230's.

But Vissegard supposed he should wait to see what King Aethan was like as a person, everyone had layers after all. King's most of all, and as Eist was known to have once said, Kings and Monarchs and Generals were like Onions, they all had more layers than most people...