Chapter Two

Sometimes life is scary, and you have to grab something and hold tight. Today is one of those days, I'm leaving my 'family' for a new life. A life I'm not sure I want, but I have no choice. It appears the government has set out the rest of my life.

I love the government though. If they did this for me, there has to be a good reason, and I have to make my parents proud.

"Goodbye mom." I say, wrapping her in a tight embrace. I'll never see her again, I will miss her love, comfort, and support. She is the best mom I could have asked for. I break apart and move to dad. "Goodbye dad" I say, tears well in my eyes.

I feel a hand on my back. "It's time to leave." The military commander says gently. We are leaving by helicopter, apparently there is a group of people that hate the government. I don't know why, after all, they feed us, and protect us, why can't they just be content? Well, because of them, I need military protection.

I get in the helicopter carefully and sit between two big soldiers. "Hi." I say pleasantly. They choose not to respond. I look out the window at my parents, my mom is openly crying in my father's arms. Shock jolts through me as I realize my dad was crying too. He never cries, I suddenly realize how much they both must love me.

Tears begin to form in my eyes too. I wave at them and they wave back.

A soldier checks my book bag for any restricted items and then puts my book bag in and jumps in the front. "Seat belts everyone." He says. Then he grabs the back of the pilot's seat as we start going up. I must not openly cry, I must not cry. I tell myself as I pull the strap over my shoulder and buckle up.

I wave one last time as they disappear from sight. Will I ever see them again?