SNEAK PEEK

"Why do you keep running from me?

She turned, knees knocking at the husky timber of his voice. "What do you mean?"

He took a purposeful step towards her, reducing the distance between them. "Ever since the incident in the elevator you seem to not want to spend even a second in my presence. What are you running from, Victoria?" His eyes dug into hers. "What are you afraid of?"

Just one look at him and she wanted to fling herself into his arms. Wanted him so much, yet it was impossible.
Determined, she inhaled deeply to clear her head of this nonsense. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Don't you. You've never been this nervous around me. When are you going to admit to this attraction that sizzles between us? You're a smart woman, and I know you know what this is..." With each word, he was brought closer to her, causing her to back away until the wall behind her obstructed her further movement.

The smell of his cologne assailed her, making her heady and nearly sending her to tears. "Don't come close to me."

"Why?" His eyes settled on her lips, devouring them with their intensity. She felt it to her core, and she did not like this at all. Not one bit. "Why, Victoria?"

She couldn't hold back, the torrent of words that had been building and rising within her tumbling out on a spur of indignation "Because I don't think I can stand being near you without feeling all things I know I shouldn't. You make me wish for things I shouldn't be wishing for, with every look...the...the sound of your voice...You're invading my space, you're everywhere, and I can't stand it!" Angry tears stung her eyes. "Now what more do you want from me?"

He stopped in front of her, eyes scanning her face. He lifted a hand to tuck a stray lock of hair behind her ear, smiling inwardly when she leaned into his touch. "It's not about what I want. What do you want Victoria?"

Can't say it...

Say it...he silently prodded.

"I want to feel, " she said on a broken whisper.

"Then feel, Victoria..." He cupped her face in his hands. "Let go..."

An irrepressible shudder run through her at his words.

"Just like I'm letting go..." he whispered "...Because every time I look at you, I have to remind myself why it's wrong to want you, and I think I'll be fine so long as I keep up the facade, but then you come around with your winsome smile and bright eyes and smart brain and you shatter it all for me - my sanity, my illusions. With that flowery smell you carry around, you transport me to a new world, where it's just you and me, a world where I'm helplessly unhinged, basking in every glorious thing you can offer. You make me wish for things I shouldn't be wishing for. I burn for you, Victoria. Only you. And I want to make you feel...."

On an explosion of emotion, she closed the breath of space between them and pressed her lips to his, her soft chest pressing against his solid ones.

This was wrong. So wrong, yet so right. No, not right; this couldn't be right...