Chapter Eleven 🐾

Frostpaw collapsed onto her side, panting heavily from exhaustion. Never has she ever traveled this far without stopping. When they traveled with Darkspirit and his band of rogues, they stopped frequently. Cinnamon trotted up to Frostpaw and nudged her back up onto her feet.

    "Asteroid!" Cinnamon called, "Can we stop and rest? Frostpaw's all tuckered out." Asteroid, being that good father, turned and with a twitch of his tail, signaled to the rest of the group to stop, rest, and hunt. Snowdrop padded up to Frostpaw, carrying a vole in her jaws. She settled beside Frostpaw, dropping the vole onto the ground. They ate in silence, and Frostpaw noticed in the corner of her eye, Cinnamon was edging away uncomfortably.

     "Cinnamon! Come join us!" Snowdrop mewed, also noticing that Cinnamon was edging away uncomfortably. At the sound of Snowdrop's voice, Cinnamon walked over and crouched beside Frostpaw and whispered, "Sorry. I get uneasy sometimes. It's a problem. Something's telling me you're troubled by something as well. It's okay if you don't want to tell me."

     Frostpaw finished her share of the vole and led Cinnamon out of earshot and muttered, "I'll tell you." Cinnamon looked alarmed and said quickly, "You don't need to tell me if it makes you uncomfortable."

     "It's not bad. I'm just wondering, why did Darkspirit murder Honeyfrost, Snowdrop's sister?" Frostpaw mewed, "It's been bothering me for a while. Snowdrop wouldn't tell me anything when I ask her."

     Frostpaw was surprised when she saw Cinnamon's face brighten.

     "Then let's figure it out ourselves!" Cinnamon cried, excitement twinkling in her eyes. Frostpaw felt uncertain, but she nodded slowly, then mumbled, "Snowdrop will be furious if she finds out..." Cinnamon giggled then collapsed suddenly. Frostpaw poked her head and Cinnamon blinked her eyes open.

     "What happened? Ow. Did I hit myself on something?" Cinnamon asked grumpily. Frostpaw was still staring at Cinnamon's eyes, but when Cinnamon asked the question again more insistently, Frostpaw shook herself and responded slowly, "Do you remember anything after I said 'Snowdrop will be furious - blah blah blah?'" Cinnamon blinked and chose her words carefully, "I remember giggling, then I felt something itching in my throat and I choked then blacked out." Frostpaw nodded, deep in thought. As she opened her mouth to speak, a crashing sound came from behind her and Frostpaw whirled around, baring her teeth, ears flattened against her head.

     Cinnamon just sat there.

     The thing that came crashing over was a black cat, green eyes glancing around wildly. He exclaimed, "There you are! Cinnamon! You must finish this, " He turned and faced Frostpaw, "The band of rogues caught our trail. We must leave immediately!" Cinnamon glanced at the sky, then mewed, "Hold on, Black. How did the rogues know where we are?" Black shook his head sadly, muttered, "Just go back," and walked away. Cinnamon stood and gestured with her tail to follow. Frostpaw obeyed and followed. Frostpaw noted that Snowdrop, who had been there a moment ago, had silently disappeared. Cinnamon suddenly whirled around, bowled Frostpaw over, and pinned her down. Cinnamon's eyes - they were pure red. 

     Frostpaw shrieked, scrabbling around, trying to escape. As Cinnamon spoke, her voice was deeper, "No escape, little kitty granddaughter," Cinnamon's eyes flickered and Cinnamon said in her voice, "I-I... urghhhhhhh. GET OUT OF MY MIND STUPID DARKSPIRIT!!!!!!!" 

    Cinnamon faltered, or the thing inside Cinnamon did, giving Frostpaw a chance to wriggle out from under her paws and climb a tree, shuddering. Cinnamon's eyes were shut tight. When she opened them, her eyes were back to amber. 

     "No." Frostpaw murmured under her breath.

     Cinnamon's head swiveled to Frostpaw's voice. Cinnamon looked upset.

     "Frostpaw? Where'd you go?" Cinnamon mewed, glancing around. Frostpaw climbed down, shaking.

     "Wh-What happened to-to you?" Frostpaw stammered. Cinnamon looked down sorrowfully. Then she looked up and her eyes had a cold, steely look to them. Frostpaw whimpered softly and crouched. Cinnamon laughed and shook her pelt. "Little cat. Surely you haven't thought that I was your friend all along?"

     "Y-You're working for Darkspirit!" Frostpaw cried, backing away slowly. "Why Cinnamon, why?!"

     Cinnamon glared at her, "My name isn't Cinnamon. My name is Deaththorn. Asteroid isn't my father, Lake isn't my mother. Darkspirit is my father and a mouse-heart from ThunderClan is my mother."

     "But...But-" Frostpaw was interrupted by Cinnamon/Deaththorn laughing so hard she almost fell. Frostpaw stared at Deathflower, dumbstruck. 

     Deaththorn, without warning, launched at Frostpaw and pinned her. With a claw tracing her throat, Frostpaw was about to give up and just close her eyes. Rotten breath blew into her nose and she flinched. Deaththorn smiled.

     "Say buh bye!" Deaththorn purred and tightened her grip on her throat. Frostpaw panted, unable to breath. The last thing she saw before she blacked out was Deaththorn flinching as something hit her.