XI ⚰️ Daphne Wants to go Home

chapter XI

chapter XI

🌷 Daphne tried not to think too much as they wandered through the Underworld. She kept focusing on her breathing, as though if she took her mind off of it for a second her spirit would dissipate into the fog which clung around their ankles.

Walking through the Fields of Asphodel was almost maddening. Dull black grass had been trampled by eons of dead feet, spreading as far as the eye could see. A warm, moist wind blew like the breath of a swamp. Black trees Daphne instantly recognised as poplars grew in clumps here and there, but other than that, the land wasn't graced with the sweet kiss of nature or foliage. The spirits of those who wandered were hollow and empty.

Daphne had the feeling that if she wasn't with her friends, she would become just like the souls here. Lost and forgotten.

Annabeth's hand prodded into her back, encouraging her to move forward. Daphne complied and took a deep breath, missing the sun ever so much.

She didn't know what it was, but whenever she was away from the sun for too long it was as though she would started to wilt. Daphne glanced up and saw slithering, swirling fog. No escape for a while - she'd just have to get used to it.

Percy and Annabeth kept exchanging nervous looks with each other when they looked over to Daphne. Her face had suddenly become very pale, and her eyes were darting around like a skittish animals would.

"Daphne?" Annabeth asked gently.

"Yes?" Daphne turned to her, but her eyes took a while to focus on her friend. "Oh. Yeah, what's up?"

Annabeth was about to open her mouth and ask if she was feeling alright (which she obviously wasn't, Smarty Brain) when Grover stood rigidly behind them, as though he had been rooted into his spot.

"Grover?" Percy frowned. "Is everything alright, dude?"

He tripped over his own legs, crashing to the ashy looking ground.

"Come on, goat boy." Annabeth grabbed his arm and tried to haul him up as Percy hesitated beside Daphne as though in leaving her she'd wander and never return.