27

👉🏻👈🏻

It was still dark outside, yet the kitchen was filled with the smells and sounds of eggs and bacon frying on the stove. Jade took a sip of her coffee and wove her foot around the rung of her stool, watching Althea move things around the pan with a spatula. She yawned as quietly as she could.

"You really didn't need to get up to make me breakfast," Jade said.

"You could have had an entire extra hour of sleep."

Althea didn't even turn around.

"Well, it was me who prevented you from sleeping."

Jade put her elbows on the counter and kept her coffee cup near her face.

Even the smell helped.

"Well, hindi naman ako nagrereklamo."

"I know."

The arrogance that had once driven Jade up the wall was less annoying now. More kind of sexy. Okay, less eye-roll inducing.

Still, when Althea winked at her and went back to the stove with a slight flick of her hips, Jade almost melted into a puddle.

"I don't want to work today," Jade said.

"Let's just stay home all day. Sa kama. Naked."

When Althea turned around with empty plates in her hands, she caught Jade staring at her ass. Jade grinned shamelessly. Althea put the plates down on the counter across from her.

"Paano mga pasyente natin?"

"To be fair, I don't have specific patients. Another nurse can cover."

"Ako, mayroon."

"They can wait?"

Althea leaned over the plates, across the counter and Jade met her partway, the kiss lingering. Then Althea shook her head and pulled away, and Jade groaned.

"No. I have things that can definitely not wait."

"Someone else can do them?"

Back at the stove, Althea picked up the pan, carried it over, and dropped the eggs and bacon onto the plates.

"And deny them my genius?"

"Apaka yabang."

"Partly, yes."

The pan now in the sink to soak, Althea grabbed the pieces of toast she'd kept warming in the oven and placed them on the plates as well.

"But also, every time I walk in that OR and know I have to open someone up, I have to believe I'm the best."

"Okay na po" Jade took a bite of her toast.

"And besides, you are the best."

"’Ta mo."

"I always had. You're the best neurosurgeon in the state. It's not really debatable."

"Yet- Althea stood opposite her, picking up a piece of crispy bacon, and Jade strangely loved that she wasn't using her fork to eat it "you didn't like me at all."

She took a bite and chewed it like she had all the time in the world. It was kind of hot, actually.

"Maybe I was secretly harboring pent-up sexual feelings for you?"

"Were you? So pinagnanasahan mo na ako, dati pa?" Althea looked particularly interested in that answer.

" Ganda ka teh? But, I did stare at your collarbones the first time we went out. And I kind of have a thing for those, so..."