02

👉👈

"Go talk to him."

"No."

"Sally. Do it."

"He's too handsome!"

Sitting at one of the tables outside the coffee cart, Jade rolled her eyes. She'd found a dollar in her locker and decided to splurge on a coffee. It was worth it to watch Sally melt at the sight of the coffee boy. Who was cute.

His cat eyes were complemented by a very mischievous smile. Whenever one was directed at Sally, they practically went nonverbal.

It was a little embarrassing to watch, and entirely entertaining.

But Jade was being nice about the second part, because Sally had paid for both their coffees, being great like that. Jade didn't think they knew about her money issues. Not in their entirety. But still.

"There's no such thing as too handsome."

Sally turned around.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Mr-I-Can't-Even-Look-At-The-Waiter-At- My-Local-Café."

Jade pursed her lips and held their eye contact.

"Yeah, okay, fine. But he really was handsome."

"So is Leo."

Jade felt her grin turn wicked.

"Oh, Leo?"

"Shit."

"When did you get his name?"

"He told me, the other day."

Jade took a smug sip of her coffee.

"And did you give him your name?"

"I mumbled something. Then paid and ran away."

"Good job."

"Thanks." Sally grabbed both paper cups and stood.

"Jade, your phone's been lighting up."

"Oh." Sally wandered off to the trash can, and Jade grabbed her phone.

She had an e-mail, the name only a generic string of numbers, and something strange rolled over in her stomach. Could it be?

Apparently it could.

Is tonight suitable for you to meet? Somewhere public, as I do believe there can be issues with meeting people from the Internet privately. If that's agreeable to you, we could meet at, say, 8:30 p.m. Location to be sent if you agree. I'll wear a black beanie. If you could let me know what you will be wearing, that would be helpful-though I don't recommend bringing your dog. Thank you.

"Oh, my fucking hell."

"What?"

Jade closed her mouth and looked up. Sally was watching her, their head cocked.

"Oh, nothing. My horoscope said something surprising."

Jade worked so well under pressure in the ER. But making something up on the spot? Not her thing at all. She hated lying. But no way was she admitting to this.

"You told me you thought horoscopes were a load of crap,"

Sometimes, Jade thought it would be easier to have a friend who hadn't started out with her in the ER. Years of long and deliriously tiring shifts had a way of making the two of them divulge more random bits of information to each other than they might have normally.