RASTROFORKEEPS

👉🏻👈🏻

A no-fault divorce was the best thing ever invented it was fast and easy, almost too much so.

Once they decided to get divorced, the process began with barely any effort. They weren't even required to appear in court for the hearing. The only thing they had to do was to file the paperwork together.

Although she had apparently gotten to like small amounts of PDA more, Althea was still much better at not appearing smitten than Jade.

At the notary, Jade had to avoid looking at Althea too much in front of the stern-looking woman who witnessed them signing. With a pen in one hand, Althea's knuckles grazed hers, and Jade had to resist the urge to trace her fingers over the back of Althea's hand.

They submitted everything to Althea's attorney to put together the official paperwork on a day when Althea had to rush back to work, and Jade to the continuing education day she was supposed to be attending.

Even as petitioning for the divorce got closer, that hyperinflated feeling in Jade's chest that had been there for months whenever she thought about Althea remained.

Althea left her buoyant.

One evening, Althea walked in with a rattle of keys, and Jade startled up and half-off the sofa. Migui slipped off the couch.

Althea stood in the kitchen, flicking through letters.

"Were you asleep with your dog at seven in the evening?"

Jade cleared her throat, peering around the room. It had been bright as day when she'd lain down with the idea of watching a movie. But the light had clearly shifted; it was dark outside.

"Uh, no."

Althea didn't even look up from the mail in her hand.

"Tssssss! Apaka sinungaling."

"This is not new information."

But Althea had stopped listening to her, focused on something in her hand.

"Althea?"

She dropped all but one of the letters in her hand on the counter and walked over, dropping onto the sofa and throwing a leg over Jade's lap. Jade tugged her leg closer and lazed back against the sofa.

Althea held the letter out, and Jade almost went cross-eyed to stare at it.

"What's that?"

"Open it."

Jade's brain felt filled with cotton wool. Night shift had only ended the day before, and she was still coming back to the real world. That morning, she'd poured juice into her coffee instead of milk.

"Okay."

The letter was heavy. It was more of a packet. Althea propped her head on her hand and watched Jade, something soft in her eyes.

"Ano?" Jade asked.

"Mukhang antokka pa ."

Althea brushed hair off Jade's face, tucking it behind her ear. Her fingers trailed down Jade's neck.

"I really am."

"Gusto mo magluto ako?"

"That would be amazing."

"Gusto mo ng carbonara?"

"That would be even more amazing."

"Done." Althea nodded.