Chapter Four: The Inkworld

Cathy opened her eyes, she had closed them when Draco began reading, and looked around excitedly for Dustfinger. But he wasn't there. And nor was Draco, or her bed, or even the white walls; instead she stood in a clearing of a thick forest. 

Cathy blinked a few times, trying to figure out where she was but she didn't recognise anything, and all she could see was trees, bushes and tall grass everywhere she looked. Cathy wondered how she had gotten where ever she was, but no matter how hard she strained her memory, all she could remember was a beautiful green butterfly and the face of a strange pale boy whom she did not recognise, everything else was black. 

Cathy took a step forward, hoping to get out of the forest and look for a landmark of sorts that could tell her where she was, but her shoe fell on something soft and furry that let out a indignant squeak and scurried away from her as she quickly lifted her foot. 

"Sorry," she called after the creature, though she wasn't sure why because it wouldn't understand her. 

"His name is Gwin," a voice floated towards her through the trees. "Don't worry, you just startled him." 

Cathy turned towards the voice, frowning slightly. The voice was strangely familiar, but she couldn't place it.  

The man who had called to her was walking casually towards her, and had the furry creature perched on his shoulder. 

"Dustfinger!" she yelled and ran towards him, stopping just before she ran into him. 

The man was dressed in his long coat, which was damp at the ends from skimming over the dewy grass, and Cathy could see his rucksack slung over the shoulder Gwin was watching her from. His hair was as ruffled as ever, his fringe covering one of the eyes that gazed at her. A strange smile was playing over his lips and she grinned back at him, her eyes flicking over the scars on his cheek. 

"Do I know you?" he asked in his strange quiet voice. 

"Um, I know you," she said, her eyes still racking his face. "You're Dustfinger." Her eyes landed on Gwin, whose beady black eyes watched her carefully. "And that's Gwin. Sorry I stepped on your tail," she told the marten. 

Cathy looked back to Dustfinger, still grinning. 

He gazed at her unblinkingly, and suddenly Cathy knew what Meggie meant about the way Dustfinger looked at you. Finally, he stuck out his hand. "Well, I don't know you, I'm sorry." 

She shook his hand eagerly. "I'm, er..." she trailed off. She couldn't remember her name suddenly. She wracked her brain, but all that she could come up with was a letter C. 

Dustfinger was looking at her with amusement. "You don't know your own name?" he chuckled. 

"No, I know it. I just can't remember. I think it starts with a C though." 

"Hm, well, we shall have to give you a new name. One that suits the Inkworld." 

Cathy was so busy trying to think of names that she almost missed what he said. "Inkworld?" she asked. "What's an Inkworld?" 

Dustfinger frowned at her. "Why, this is Inkworld, of course." He motioned with his arms, indicating everything around them. 

Cathy looked around. 

A whole different world, with a different name? 

She nodded politely, but couldn't help wondering if Dustfinger had lost it slightly. 

"So, a new name?" she said, distracting Dustfinger's curious looks. 

"Ah, yes. Let's see." He looked her over, taking in her long, chocolate brown hair pulled into a side plait, her outfit of a tank top, jeans and leather jacket, walking around her a few times before he was satisfied. He peered into her face one last time, no doubt looking at her eyes. They were blue; the brightest, clearest, biggest blue eyes you had ever seen, surrounded by thick sooty black lashes. She almost never wore eye makeup. 

"Bluebell," he decided, cocking his head to one side. "We'll call you Belle for short." 

Cathy nodded and smiled, savouring the way he said her new name. She reached out a hand to Gwin, to tickle his head, but Dustfinger grabbed her wrist. 

"He bites," he warned her before letting go of her wrist, giving her the choice. 

Cathy slowly moved her hand around Gwin, his eyes locked on it, and she carefully stroked the fur at the back of his neck. Gwin snuffled and bent his head back, allowing her to tickle his head. Cathy felt the horns atop his head and smiled, she remembered Dustfinger told Meggie he had glued them on. 

"Where were you headed, Belle?" Dustfinger asked as Gwin scurried back into the rucksack to sleep. 

"Uh..." 

"Don't know that either, huh? Alright, you can come with me and maybe Resa can sort you out." Dustfinger smiled that strange smile again, and he set off back in the direction he had come.