𝕮. 34

𝓛𝓲𝓶𝓲𝓽𝓼

My heart beats faster, and my legs wiggle weakly. The silent treatment is killing me slowly, and I find myself saying, "Please, Wale, can I at least see you, even if it's the last time?" I plead, still standing by the door.

Yet he replies nothing. I turn and rest my back on the door while I squat down. “I’m sorry, I didn’t fully trust you. I’m sorry I compared you to the past men in my life; I’m sorry I gave you the impression that I didn’t love you; I’m sorry I doubted your love.” I speak, fighting the tears and wrestling to pour.

“Living has been difficult for me since Ubong abandoned me with Unwana, my daughter, in my womb. When the shame became unbearable, I tried to abort my child several times, but each time I failed. Who knows if I would be alive today if it weren't for my parents' unending love?” I converse as tears flood my eyes, and my beating heart threatens to stop.

“I loathed Ubong with all my heart till the day I gave birth to my bright star, and from the moment I saw her, I discovered hope. I never stopped hating Ubong; I just hated him less, and I had to focus all of my efforts on defending my child. Ubong lied to me, saying he loved me, but I was only a tool. He already had a thriving family in Lagos.” The words ache my heart further as I recall my past experience with Ubong.

“I eventually had to leave the village; I worked my tail off to provide the best for my daughter; I grabbed anything that would benefit me and my daughter; I made every effort to be the best mother for my daughter; and I also tried love. Whenever I tell the past men in my life that I’m a single mom, they scram."

"You know, it’s unfair to introduce different men to my daughter; what kind of example am I setting?” I rub off the tears running down my cheek and stand on my feet.

“I love you, and I didn’t want to lose you. That’s why I was reluctant to tell you about Ubong or Unwana, but look at me, I've lost you anyway. I’m so sorry; I only hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me. Please don’t hate me."

The tears stubbornly pour down, and robbing them off my cheeks becomes an annoying effort as I struggle to hold back more tears from falling. The pain in my chest is unbearable, as I feel a heavy sorrow settle within. I place my hand on my chest, and in a few seconds, I weep, trying to be as quiet as I possibly can.

I have never cried like this for any man since Ubong. Yet, Ubong left, and so did Wale.
Finally, summon the little strength I have left and trace my steps off the threshold of Wale’s study room. He not responding simply means it’s a ‘Let me be and don’t ever bother me again’ kind of silence. Could it be? If it is, I understand and respect that.

Suddenly, I halt, taking no further steps, as I hear the wooden door of the study room opening.

It is like time has stopped, giving me a chance to feel the beat of my heart again. Slowly, I turn around, finding the remedy to my broken heart in front of me.

He takes his time, walking closer to me, and when he is close enough, he halts.

A surge of emotions cascaded through me as I locked eyes with the love of my life. In that moment, the weight of anticipated rejection lifts, replaced by the tender gaze that speaks of forgiveness.

The air seems to shimmer with newfound hope, and my heart, once heavy with guilt, now flutters with the delicate wings of relief.

The shared silence holds the promise of a second chance, and in his eyes, I find not condemnation but a willingness to mend the fractures and rebuild our love anew.

From the look of his eyes, I can tell I’m not the only one who has been crying. He stares back at me for a while, looking through my eyes into my soul.

He then makes another step forward, gently placing one hand on my cheek. He wipes away some tears with his thumb and moves his hands slowly below my chin. In unison, his other hand wraps around my waist.

I stand speechless in front of him, my mouth slightly open, escaping air through it while my heart beats faster.

I see his head coming down, and in a blink of an eye, his lips envelope mine, kissing me greedily and passionately. He has said nothing since he came out of his study, but his kiss and the spark in his eyes have said it all.

I wrap my hands around his shoulders and reciprocate without thinking twice.

It seems like fireworks are shooting out of my head right now. He doesn’t hate me after all.

The thrill I'm experiencing is beyond anything I've ever experienced. Such contentment compels me to burst out a small laugh.

He paused and smiled down at me. “You won’t have to introduce another man to your daughter ever again.” He finally tells me, “I will be the last man that will come into her life as a father figure.”

“Did he—” I'm certain I feel my heart skip a beat. I am so overwhelmed that I fail to notice the tears flooding my eyes again.

"But—" He starts

Hear it comes, but who cares? Whatever condition he attaches, I’m more than willing to accept it. I can’t lose him again.

“I need your permission. First, to marry you, and second, to be the father of your daughter and also the father of our unborn children.” He mentions counting with his fingers.

I laugh, seeing how he lists them with his hand. I peck him on the lips and say, “You have my permission, baby.” I feel every heavy burden lift from my shoulder, and my heart aches, healing completely.

Who says there isn’t true love out there? Most people only search in the wrong place.

Even with my limits, as people have reminded me, I still found my perfect prince charming.

So can anyone?

1075 𝖜𝖔𝖗𝖉𝖘

1075 𝖜𝖔𝖗𝖉𝖘

_____________________________________

𝓥𝓸𝓽𝓮 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓒𝓸𝓶𝓶𝓮𝓷𝓽, 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓴𝓼.
______________________________________