Ch.2 - Failure

One week later

Tonight Master is having friends over.

They're a loud bunch - the air fills with the smell of tobacco as Master's friends dish out cards. Occasionally, Bunnia appears with more drinks in little glasses. She can seemingly control the entire house at will - the fridge, the vacuum, most of the cupboards, the stove, the lights. The android men seem to enjoy her company more than Max, as they whistle and wave her over. Max seems to be entirely forgotten, but that is the job of the dog. To sit quietly, be obedient, and be useful when the time comes.

Max sits patiently at his spot, ears pricked to listen to their conversation, when Master beckons him over. As soon as Max sits at the foot of the chair, Master raises his wine glass and taps it with a fork repeatedly. The noise dies down as all eyes are focused on Master. "I want you all to meet Max. You might remember him from, uh, 'bout four years ago..." For some reason, the room erupts into laughter. Even Bunnia giggles.

Max looks from one face to the next. "But- Master... I've only been here for a week or so."

"Now, now, Max. I didn't ask you to speak. Little rascal." Master pats him on the head and signals for his friends to be quiet. "As you all know, Max is my latest invention. He will be helping us with the human situation. From here on out, he will join the Hunters on patrol."

"Can I pet him?" Without warning, a cold metal hand descends upon his neck and he tries not to squirm while the men laugh. Be a good dog for Master. "Oh, wow, he's almost like a real dog! Can he do any tricks?"

Master grins. "Well, he is quite well-trained. However, he's been a little... naughty recently, always slacking off from searches. But here, I'll show you.

"Max, up.

"Max, turn around.

"Max, paw. Paw!" Max follows the directions perfectly, finishing with a hand on Master's lap. The men clap and holler.

A scoop of some brown mush is placed onto the palm of Master's hand and offered to Max. The other men look upon it with an inquisitive look of disgust. "Holy shit, is he really gonna eat that?" But without hesitation, Max pounces on it, and with just a few quick swipes of his tongue, everything is gone. It doesn't taste of anything particularly strong, but Max has learned that food is to be earned. And he will earn it fair and square.

"I told you, he's very well trained," says Master after wiping his hand. The dinner commences as usual, and Max is about to slink back to his bed when Master stops him. "Max, since you're pleasing our dear guests so very nicely, I'm giving you a gift." Max's eyes light up. A gift, a gift. "Think of it as a reward for your loyalty and obedience in the past week." He pauses, observing Max's twitching ears, "I'm going to collar you."

Max thinks he must be the luckiest dog alive at this moment. To receive a collar is truly one of the highest honors a dog could achieve. "And," Master continues, "And. A sliver of your golden heart will be embedded in this collar, so anyone who gazes upon it will see how you shine just as brightly."

Immediately Max grovels repeatedly, 'thank yous' and other incoherent phrases tumbling out of his mouth.

Master pats his neck and quickly, he sits to attention, prepared to hear the plan. He would be a stupid dog if he were to squander his chances now.

***

A week later, he catches a fresh scent by the breeze.

A human, with tan skin dirtied by mud and filth. It is squatting down picking raspberries a little length away from Max's hiding place. The human puts the delicate red berries in a plastic bag, and it all goes into his satchel. The human's face is obscured by a dark hood around the head. But, underneath the hood, Max sees a peek of wavy brown hair.