Chapter 37

"This is her then?" Dumbledore stood form his desk and descended upon Souris, she found him almost more intimidating than Voldemort.

Souris looked back at Severus as the headmaster looked her over for help, she felt uncomfortable and sweaty, "Sir, I apologize for my appearance, I wasn't aware that Hogwarts was so grand. The pictures in our history books do not do it justice."

"Dear, I have seen dozens of quidditch players come and go through these halls, there is not much left for this nose to be offended by." He paused his inspection of her to stand directly in front of her, his eyes looked to Severus over her head before looking back at her, "May I?" He lifted his hands towards her face.

"What- uh - yeah?" She wasn't exactly sure what he was asking permission for, but the professor's presence made her feel secure enough to blindly agree.

"Severus has filled me in on what I needed to know." Albus explained as he cupped her cheeks with his hands, "He has told me about the curse and your run in with Bellatrix."

Souris held completely still while her face was sandwiched between his aged hands, he tipped her head from side to side to see her scars for himself, which did not make her feel any less uncomfortable.

"Am I able to see the other scars?"

"Albus, that is hardly appropriate and extremely personal." Severus stepped forward and pulled her back from the headmaster.

"Why do you want to see them?" Souris's disapproval of the headmaster was evident in her question, "They are ugly and disfiguring. The Black sisters have done nothing but ruin me."
Severus's hands gave her a quick comforting squeeze.

"Dear, I didn't mean to insult you, I wanted to make record of your injuries," Dumbledore kept looking at Severus as if no matter what she said, Snape would make the final decision, "considering that you were treated by Professor Snape and Mr. Malfoy, I would assume that there is no account of what happened."

Souris twisted to look at Severus, who looked back at her, "It's up to you, little mouse." The use of Lucius's pet name for her, comforted Souris, "It's your body and your privacy."

"As her guardian, you know that it is in her best interest to document-"

"EXCUSE ME." Souris interrupted Professor Dumbledore, she didn't yell, just stressed her words, "I don't want to show you, Headmaster. I don't like talking about it or explaining it, or even thinking about it. So I am declining your request."

"And when Bellatrix LeStrange is re-captured? What then? You want her to be held accountable don't you?"

"Bellatrix could have killed me and her fate would remain the same; the Dementor's Kiss." Souris put her hands on her hips, "It's doesn't matter if she mangled half of Hogwarts, kills the other half, IF she is sent back to Azkaban, it will be the same result as if she had never escaped. Pardon me for feeling as if accountability, is pointless. One way or another; she will pay. Showing you, would only hurt me further. I am the one that has to live with the consequences of what she has done to me. I am not willing to share that vulnerability with you."

Severus's chest swelled with pride, he met Albus's gaze and shrugged, "She's made her choice."

"Severus has told you what happened, that should be enough for you documentation."

Dumbledore backed down and held his hands up, "Very well, your point is understood." He returned to his desk and took his seat, "It is my hope that you will learn to trust me as you study here. Speaking of which, lets move on to lighter subjects, Mr Malfoy has sent copies of your transcripts when you were in his care... You are quite an impressive witch; astute and driven. A good Slytherin you would make, which I am sure would make your father proud." Dumbledore gave Severus a kind smile that reached his eyes, "I will need time to adjust to this new development."