Three

The way to school was boring as it ever was. Velvet straightens her hexagonal purse on her shoulder more while she waits on the sidewalk in front of their house. The thing she hated most about living in the suburbs was that every house looked similar. Nothing about their home was interesting. Its plain walls glistening in the morning sunlight was the same as every other house in the diamond neighborhood. It was a dime a dozen.

She grabs her violet communicator which was in the shape of a compact, and flips it open. A hologram appears above it, showcasing her home feed. While she waited for her brother, she was scrolling through videos of interviews about celebrities. She scrolled until a notification popped up in the corner, it was about a new video from her brother’s favorite interviewer.

At the same time, the door of their house opened, and out came Veneer who was still putting on his jacket. She rolls her eyes at him before she starts walking towards the bus stop. “About time, I was starting to think you’d never show up.” She says to him while he runs to catch up to her. He apologizes with a sheepish smile. “Anyway, guess who just uploaded a new vlog?”

Veneer gasps. “Kid Ritz uploaded a video!? Let me see!” he says, his arm linking with her. She tosses him her communicator.

“You have your own.” She tells him before unlinking their arms to sit on a bench. The bus was always late so she might as well get comfortable. While her brother watches the video of his celebrity crush, she opens her bag to peek inside. There sat stuffed into the corner was the perfume bottle with Floyd inside. He still seemed mad at them but mellowed out a bit, so instead of his usual glaring, he was just tracing shapes on the glass wall with his chin on his palm. Despite her brother’s paranoia about bringing him with us, she still brought him anyway. If a

Knowing he wasn’t suffocating in the bag, she grabbed her lipstick and checked her makeup from the mirror of her actual compact. When she deems her appearance good, she puts it away just as the bus arrives. It hovers over the road as steps appear in front of the door. She pays and sits near the window. Veneer sits beside her.

“Do you think I can meet him one day?” He asks as he hands her back her compact. She stashes it in her bag and shrugs.

“If our music becomes well-known, we can probably score an interview.” She says as the bus starts to drive away from their neighborhood. “Which reminds me, what should we do to start gaining fans? Do we have any songs we can use?”

Her brother tilts his head as thinks. “Hm, well we can use our old songs, but they’re a couple of years old so they might sound bad.” he then leans further in the bus seat, taking his knees to rest at the back of someone’s chair. “For popularity, we can make song covers, I guess.”

She considers the suggestions while the bus nears their academy. It was a private one and it was covered head to toe in various shades of silver.

She opens her purse again to bring the perfume bottle closer to the entrance where she can see him more clearly. “Hey, Troll. What do you think we should do to gain fans?” she asks, tapping the violet glass. Floyd rolls her eyes at her.

“Probably not kidnap someone? That’s a starter.”