one

✧༺♥༻∞

"João?" Arabella knocked on her boyfriend's bedroom door. "can I come in?"

João's door was never locked, so when Arabella couldn't open it, it made a flurry of thoughts rush to her head, she hated to assume that João might be going behind her back, but the moaning coming from the other side of the door was making it hard not to.

"no, uhm, give me a minute, hold on." there was some shuffling, and then the door unlocked and João appeared in the doorway, his cheeks blushed and his hair a mess.

"Are you okay?" Arabella smiled up at him, "Were you busy? I can come back later." she now took the time to take in his appearance, noticing the fact that he was wearing nothing but a pair of football shorts, and quite clearly nothing underneath them.

"Uh." he followed her eyes to see what she was looking at, internally rolling his eyes at himself, "shit."

"João..." Arabella frowned, trying to look past him into his bedroom, "is there someone in there?"

"João," a girl's voice called out from inside the room, "come back!"

༺♥༻

After being cheated on in her first-ever relationship, Arabella decided that she'd never let anyone play her again. she'd moved out of Portugal as soon as she turned eighteen and had found an apartment in Spain.

Having an ex like João meant that escaping her past wasn't as easy as she had hoped. Only a couple of months after Arabella had moved to Spain, João was signed by Atletico Madrid, and all of a sudden, all the hard work that Arabella had put into forgetting about João came crumbling down.

It seemed like everywhere she went, there was at least one person in an Atleti shirt, the shirts alone weren't the issue, the issue was that about a third of the time his name would be printed on the back.

The first time that she saw him was in an interview. She was eating dinner when the sound of a familiar voice drew her attention to the TV. It was rare for a sports interview to be on the news, but when there was a big win in a game like Atleti and real, it would be more surprising if there wasn't an interview on the news.

Seeing his face made her do something that she regretted almost instantly. she'd blocked him when they'd first broken up, and for a while, her finger hovered over the unblock button. When she did eventually unblock him, the first thing she looked for was any girls that he'd posted. After about an hour of stalking him, Arabella had finally come to her senses, for now. She contemplated blocking him again, but she'd decided against it.

The second time, she was in a club, and at first, she wasn't even sure that it was him, but as she walked past him for the third time that evening, she got a proper look at his face. in the pictures he'd posted to Instagram, his face was barely visible, and this was her first time actually seeing his face in over three years. She'd imagined what it'd be like if she ever saw him in person again hundreds of times before, but she hadn't thought about what would happen after she saw him.

He hadn't noticed her, he'd been too busy talking to the three girls dancing around him, and as much as Arabella knew she didn't have the right to be jealous, seeing him with other girls still made her heart ache.