four

✧༺♥༻∞

"I can't believe you still wear that thing." João pointed at the delicate necklace that was rested on Arabella's collarbone.

"Hm." she shrugged, placing her hand on the piece of jewellery. "Too pretty to get rid of, I should've thrown it away ages ago."

"You wouldn't." He scoffed, "You'd never throw away a gift."

"That's not necessary true." Arabella shook her head, "but i don't think anyone could expect me to throw this one away."

༺♥༻

"you did this all for me?" Arabella stared up at her boyfriend in awe, "really? you didn't have to."

"happy birthday, belle." he rubbed her shoulder, handing her a baby blue jewellery box, "i love you."

"joão. you didn't." she shook her head in disbelief as she opened the box, "i can't believe this. i wasn't expecting you to get it, i just thought it was pretty."

"anything for my girl."

༺♥༻

"you were too good for me." João shook his head, swiping away a notification from his home screen. "i didn't deserve you."

"yeah." Arabella nodded in agreement, "you ruined my life."

"Belle. I'll never forgive myself for what i did to you, and i'm not expecting you to forgive me either. I'll never be able to apologise enough, but i want to make a start, because i really am sorry for what i did." his eyes were once again drawn to his phone, and he quickly turned it over so that the screen was face down on the table.

"i never did it for you. did i?" she finally looked up from the menu to meet his eyes, continuing after she saw the confusion on his face. "why did you never want to be with me?"

༺♥༻

"my parents won't be back until the morning." Arabella smiled up at joão from her bed.

"so?" he frowned at her, moving to pick up a claw clip from her nightstand, "should we get a takeaway or something?"

"or..." she dragged out the word, "we could do something? maybe? only if you want to."

"what are you getting at? what do you want to do?" he looked at her through her mirror, his attention only half being on her as he was focused on getting the clip to grip his hair.

"i dunno. you, maybe? not if you don't want to, but you always say that you don't want to do it when my parents could come home any minute, and they definitely won't be back until tomorrow." she chewed on her bottom lip, becoming nervous at his lack of interest in the conversation. "i mean, we don't have to."

"i dunno, belle. you've never done it before, it should be special." he shook his head at her.

"i don't care, joão. as long as it's with you it'll be special for me. at least let me do something for you?" she pulled her knees up to her chest.

"not today. i don't think you're really ready. maybe another time." he shrugged.

"mhm. okay." arabella nodded, "i'm tired anyway, i think i might just go to bed now. i guess i'll see you next weekend."

"i thought you wanted me to stay? what's wrong?" he turned to her, "don't be upset, it's not personal."

"it's fine." she shook her head, "just tired."

༺♥༻

"i did." joão shook his head at arabella, "you just weren't ready."

"but i was, and i told you so many times that i was, you just shut me down every time." she shrugged, "i was staring to think that you weren't ready to do it, but you clearly were, because you were getting really into it with that girl."