Chapter 11

With so much going through her mind it was difficult to rest. She was abuzz with energy and expectations. Being so excited she didn't realise how tired she'd become and blinked away a few hours in small restless bursts of sleep. One moment Euol's bed was empty, the next it was full – his long limbs stretching out awkwardly. The next minute there was a rumble outside as some people wandered past. The next moment it was early morning, and the sun was starting to rise. Time to move.

She slowly peeled back the covers, taking note of both Sybble and Euol, fast asleep. Ahna climbed out of her hammock and began gathering her things. Kydd crawled out of the blankets and stretched his little body out.

Ahna placed a hand over her lips, they were to be as quiet as possible until they left the Sounds. A rustling stirred outside the tent and caught both their attention. Ahna jumped back into the hammock and Kydd dived into the bag. Moments later, Tizeal pulled back the entrance to the tent. She looked around, to her, it appeared all three were asleep. She crept through the tent and approached Sybble, gently stirring her by the shoulder to wake her.

"They're getting ready to go," said Tizeal, "Could you help me?"

"Sure," Sybble said, though unsure what she was agreeing to.

Tizeal left the tent, Sybble got dressed and followed soon after. Sparing a moment to check on Euol, who was dead to the world, and Ahna – who was clearly awake, screwing her eyes shut and 'snoring'. Sybble made no fuss and the tent to help Tizeal.

A moment later, Ahna was on her feet dragging the bag from beneath the blankets. Kydd popped his head out to see what was happening. Ahna waved him back into the bag, just in case. She proceeded to fill her bed with pillows, which she concealed with the covers, a clever illusion to distract from her disappearance. And with that, she was off. She spared a passing glance to Euol, but her feelings quickly soured and she left without further thought.

A quarter of the crewmen had been employed for the expedition. Led by Rosalyne, they gathered in the early morning carrying chests and bags to salvage anything of value from the ruins. Einrich and Cynor Hwitt, although present, would not participate. They would remain in the Sounds; Einrich to vie for the allegiance of the Seven Sounds, and the cynor to educate and enlighten the little urchins that lived here.

Tizeal and Sybble arrived with a few medical supplies. Tizeal being a hobbyist herbalist, had some knowledge of the ailments caused by the swamps and deadlands and brought some potions and poultices to pre-empt any problems. As they arrived, Sybble caught the ever-familiar face of Rory amongst the crowd. Red-eyed and fatigued, although dressed like the crewmen around him, he lacked their fortitude and focus. It looked a little like he'd only just arrived himself, propping himself up against the butt of a rifle while trying to keep a low profile under a hood.

"Ah, there we go." Elyth welcomed Tizeal and Sybble.

They lay the boxes down and opened them up. Tizeal met with the medically trained few and began to explain the home remedies.

"Do you have everything you need?" Elyth asked Rosalyne.

"We are well equipped," she said, "Thank you for the provisions and advice."

Sybble cut through the crowd and approached Rory, he seemed to be catching a few moments sleep whenever his eyes shut, much was the terror on his face as he jerked up in fear of collapsing.

"So, you're part of this expedition?" she asked.

"Huh?" he forced his eyes open, "Ah yes. I'm going up there, to..."