T H R E E

Nancy laid on her bed, phone pressed to her ear as she listened to something Barb said on the other line. Audrey pretended not to strain to listen, failing to hear whatever it was, as she rummaged through her cousin's closet. Looking for something else to wear upon Nancy's request since she considered going to a school assembly for a missing kid with a hot guy a date. If that's true, this would be the most sadistic date she's ever been on but probably not the worst. She didn't think what she was wearing now needed any fixing but Nancy told her she'd be changing too so she felt a little pressure to do the same.

"Yeah, she says it's not a date and that they're not even friends." There's a beat of silence then Nancy chuckles, "That's what I told her too but she told me to shut up and that I didn't know what I was talking about."

"I'm still in the room, you know." Audrey calls, pulling out a sweater with an argyle pattern. Her nose wrinkled as she shoved it back into the closet, quickly rifling through the other hangers of clothes.

Nancy rolls her eyes behind Audrey, kicking her feet as Barb moves the subject to her having doubts about the so-called party at Steve's. Nancy had already told her it wasn't really a party since it was only a few friends, using the term hang out like Donovan had done with her, yet the red head still remained unconvinced.

"Come on Barb, Audrey and I both want you there, we don't want to go by ourselves." There's another moment of silence and Audrey decides she no longer cares if Nancy thinks her shirt is too plain for a date since she isn't actually going on one. They were just going together, as convenience. "Barb... Barb, it's not rocket science. You just tell your parents you're gonna stay at my place afterwards. No... tell them we're going to the pep rally, or studying."

"You both could actually go with me and head to Steve's after.." Audrey murmur's to herself but Nancy hears her and shoots her a glare, shushing her at the same time that Karen calls up the stairs, letting them know that dinner was ready.

A deep huff of breath escapes Nancy and she presses the phone back to her cheek, letting Barb know that she'd see her in an hour and that everything would be okay but once she slams the phone back onto the light blue receiver, she turns to Audrey with dread.

"This is never going to work." She told her, standing and brushing the sweat from the palm of her hands. Audrey gave her a questioning glance as she closed the closet and turned to her. "What? You're going with Donovan and Barb doesn't really want to go and is nervous."

"Nancy Esther and Audrey Karen!" Karen's voice whipped from the bottom of the stairs. Audrey hovered near the door, pulling it open a couple inches, popping her head out the room and calling back down.

"We'll be right there!" She shouted and when there wasn't a response she turned back to her cousin who was still pouting on the bed. Audrey rolled her eyes, motioning for Nancy to stand up. "Just stick to your original plan. You guys are meeting Donovan and I at the assembly, there will be studying afterwards.. It should work, as long as you don't get nervous too."

"Really? You're sure?" Audrey nodded, giving her a determined smile. She yanked open the bedroom door, beckoning Nancy to follow her. They raced down the stairs, into the dining room to see they were the last to the table. Even Mike and his friends, Lucas and Dustin, beat them.

Even with the table crowded, there wasn't much chatter going on. The boys picked thoughtlessly at their meatloaf's while Audrey was almost ready for seconds. Her Aunt has always been a better cook than her mom and she always took every opportunity since they moved to Hawkins to get a meal out of her. Her mom hated it, always complaining when she'd come home, not wanting her snack she considered a dinner.