Chapter 7 - "Against thy reasons making no defense"

My uncle the king dies.
This does not affect me at all. I inherit nothing. It really has nothing at all to do with me.
This is how Maude finds out I only express emotion to do with her or the baby girl and maybe the ferret. We get the word one summer evening. Well she gets the word. She was up getting ready for bed, I had walked back out to the stand of trees where we'd let Blanche play. She dropped her favorite stuffed bunny. It's pink and red patches of fabric and very very soft and she cuddles it so much it's going limp. Anyway she'd dropped it and I hadn't noticed so I went back out to fetch it.
"Henry," Maud says, when I come back in. It was raining so the toy was damp. I'm drying it on my cloak wondering if I can get it dry enough to give to the baby who is waiting up in bed.
"Fetching Blanche's doll? What is it?" I ask noticing she's concerned.
"King Edward has died," she says.
"Oh aye? Here do you think that's dry enough or shall we have to tell her it'll wait till morning? She'll be sad I think we should have a second one made to switch out that one does get rather dirty what do you think?" I ask, holding out the bunny.
She stares at me.
"What is it?" I ask, "Was there more?"
"The king your uncle is dead, now your cousin Edward is king," she says.
"That does not affect me at all," I explain.
"Do you not care how he died?" She asks.
"Is it going to affect me at all?" I ask.
"Not really now that you say it like that," she says.
"You seem disappointed? Did you think I should react another way?" I ask.
"How are you going to react if I die?" She asks.
"Not well at all I shouldn't think I was going to fall on my sword but now that we have the baby I can't do that so likely just not well is that not obvious?" I ask, "When you were having this child I lay on the floor sobbing and praying the entire time I thought that had come up."
"Oh. They said you did that. I thought they were trying to make me feel better that you were so upset," she says quietly.
"No of course I did that, why do you ask?"
"Just curious."
"What are you going to do if I die?"
"Walk about barefoot in mourning, obviously, might have a poem composed. Your uncle died of illness on campaign," she says.
"He was on campaign? God no wonder he died he was past seventy," I laugh, "I'm going to go take this to the baby I think it's dry enough."
"Do that Henry," her face in her hands. She still tugs me to her room that night so she's not cross.
Thomas is so convinced it entirely affects both of us so much. He is one step closer to the crown and he's never been so happy. I know he's happy when people die but really. He does not have to get me involved. I don't want to be involved. Edward invites us all down at the end of summer. Maud points out we can't say no to the actual king, and we bring now three year old Blanche.
"We'll probably be expected to come back when he's crowned," I mutter, "Try not to talk to my family. And don't eat any food Thomas has been near. And don't let anyone touch the baby."
"Is she going to leave your arms the entire time?" Maud asks.
"You can hold her," I say, little Blanche balanced in the crook of my arm, her tiny arms around my neck, "Maybe the nurses they might be able to be bought. I don't know."
"Are we going to a party, papa?" Blanche asks.
"Yes we are you get to pick out your pretty dresses," I say. Her dolls have matching dresses but her favorite toy is still her soft pink and red bunny, creatively named Bunny.
"Only party of the decade if your mummy and papa can help it," Maud says, smirking. I smile too. With her about I can pretend that everything might go well.
Edward is having everyone to Langley, which seems like just people he has to delegate duties to. And Thomas. I take that back there's every possibility Thomas was not actually invited.
Thomas latches onto me coming out of our rooms as we arrive. We were given a set of rooms we'll probably occupy one. It's late so I left Maud and Blanche getting ready for bed while I was going to go and prowl to convince myself Thomas wasn't here yet. He's here.
"Did you hear? Edward has even recalled Bloody Gaveston," Thomas snarls, taking my arm.
"Recalled? Gaveston left?" I ask.
"And now I'm a step closer to the throne we need to focus," Thomas says.
"Edward plus his two younger half brothers, plus Edward marries soon that's genuinely a lot of steps," I say.
"You're useless," Thomas says, letting go of my arm, "Just vote my way when it comes to Parliament."
"Fine, you know I shall," I say, as he walks away. That was odd. Well now I need to find out what rooms he's in and possibly move ours.
The next person I run into is Alice.
"Have you seen my husband?" She asks, she's holding a fire poker.
"That way, very angry, something about Gaveston?" I say.
"Oh my god he'll tell you I'm sick of hearing that name," she sighs, "Does your brother or does he not have mistresses and bastards at Pontefract?"
"Most definitely," I say, nodding. The children were sons he likes them if he likes anything.
"Right, thanks," she turns around and walks in the direction I pointed.
I decide not to interpret that set of events or domestic situation. I'm just going to get my sword and tell the girls we're leaving as soon as I've seen Edward and he's told me whatever he wants to tell me.
I run into Gaveston on my way to the armory where I was asked to leave my sword. Literally, he's not looking where he's going. Dressed more neatly than usual, Edward's gotten to him, and looking more stressed than I've ever seen a person in my life.
"Oh thank god it's you and not your brother," he sighs.
"Did you go away or something?" I ask, holding up my hands as he steps back.
"Yes! It was dramatic! But only for like a few weeks, the old king sent me away because—Edward," he waves a hand to indicate sodomy which he is guilty of.
"Ah," I nod.
"Your brother was one of the ones to vote I be sent away he as much as stated my crimes in open court he wants me ruined."
"And? The grass is green I'm unclear why you're stating the obvious," I say.
He sighs, "You could comfort me and say all will go well."
"Not likely I'm no comfort. Best of luck," I say, patting his shoulder with two fingers, "I've nothing against you other than the obvious namely your personality but I've little vote in Parliament and I've too much self preservation not to back my own very vile brother."
"Edward wants me helping him by his side as I've ever been—he's finding me a marriage in his family he's convinced it can work—,"
"That's not going to work," I say.
"Thank you," he glares, "Look I'm proud but I'm asking for bloody help here. It's not me I don't—deserve it. But. My sister still lives with me and one of—I have a mistress she's carrying my child. Yes Edward knows. But, I can be destroyed. They don't deserve it."
I sigh, "You're a mess you know that?"
"I'm aware," he folds his arms.
"I can't help you. If I have a vote in Parliament it's my brother unless I want my own life destroyed and I've a wife and young daughter," I say.
"Understood," he nods.
"But I'll see what I can do. No woman deserves to be even voluntarily around you," I say, slyly.
"Thank you," he sighs, "I'll take anything at this point. Edward's advice—,"
"Got you outed as a sodomite in front of the king of England? I know. Edward's good he doesn't think people can be bad. Whereas I? Am terrible. You're playing a game where you'll never know the rules which are by the way designed to see you fail. I'm sure Richmond has preached this to you so I'll leave it," I say.
"I'm not asking for your grace I'm asking for some mild pity for my child and the women who rely on me," he says, pretty green eyes so sad.
"Noted. I make no promises. And I'm Lancaster in the end, I save myself and no one else," I say.
"Noted," he says, resigned. He looks miserable.
"If Thomas wants you dead you'll die," I say, quietly, "He doesn't need a reason."
"And how do I avoid that?" He asks.
"You cut and run. Sell what you can steal and go to Europe and never come back," I say, "Just you, different name, change your face, become a different man. They might not find you."
"She's having my child, and I can't leave him. And besides I have a sister," he says.
"Good luck," I say, walking past him.
"But you'll do what you can?" He asks.
I don't respond. I don't expect to see him again. The fool had better have enough sense in his empty empty head to run.
I see him the next morning which is close to midday, when Edward has finally surfaced and summoned me. I was talking about how we should probably be making a move and pacing while my wife and daughter humored me. I don't know what Gaveston was doing but it looks developing two new nervous tics.
"How unpleasant to see you today—ah good morning your grace," I say to Gaveston then Edward respectively.
"Don't you start," Edward asks.
"Oh that's medicinal," Gaveston says, face in his hand.
"Yes that was completely general what did you need me for?" I ask.
"Redistributions of properly, mostly things my father left undone you know this all takes an age. Little changes for you you're still Baron of Lancaster as my father had it but I have a few wardships I need to distribute," he says.
"Oh right," I say. Typical endless paperwork to do with running a country I know perhaps a third of it from my own properties. "You know I vote with Lancaster, we've all met Lancaster I don't ask favors, my lord, other than to go home."
Gaveston nods like that makes sense, but Edward doesn't see him.
"Of course you do. Why is Thomas so disagreeable?" Edward asks.
"No bloody clue, what do you need me to sign? We can leave after luncheon and make good time if we wrap this up," I say, rubbing my hands together.
"The thing I actually need to ask you about in person is Thomas Wake of Liddel. He's been in wardship for some seven years he's a few years older than your daughter, Henry. He's a sizable inheritance so, I don't need to hold it," Edward says. Whoever manages the wardship gets the income till the child comes of age. Some like to make the money off of it, bit more trouble than it's worth in my opinion. You have to manage it for one thing, and provide for the child's care and arrange a marriage so it's more of a chore than anything since I don't personally need the money.
"So as not to show favoritism," Edward rolls his eyes, "I'm putting both of your names on it."
"I don't know what to do," Gaveston says, raising a hand.
"You didn't have to say that. I knew that," I say.
"Will you? It's benefit to you as well just split it, Gaveston needs an income  and it seriously helps me I don't need to manage it," Edward says. Gaveston does need the income. He needs whatever properties Edward can give him quietly because his new job is the relatively specific highly demanding 'follow the king around and do whatever is needs doing' position, which is even worse and more demanding for kings without grown brothers.
"I'll do it—put your hand DOWN Piers, no you don't have to actually do anything I'll send your sister the funds, easy?" I ask.
"Thank you so much I have I mentioned I love you?" Gaveston asks, clutching my hand. I smack him.
"So that's a yes? Brilliant, one more thing done, I assume you can take it from here, Henry?"
"Yes, send me the accounts that's all fine," I say, "Whatever you need fast mostly unimportant really random question—,"
"No, I didn't tell Thomas."
"That's really all I ask, right then, I'm off unless you need anything else?" I ask.
"No that's it, I mean I'll write to you if I need something," Edward says.
"My lord," I bow. Gaveston keeps mouthing 'thank you' I mouth 'fuck you' just to keep my reputation.
And when I return I tell my wife who immediately makes me go find out where little Tommy Wake is and why we can't bring him home with us as I and apparently Gaveston are his new fathers.
The boy is living in a church.
"We don't have to be nice people. People are terrible," I say.
"Henry of Lancaster we're taking care of that poor child."
I let her have it and we send for the boy to be brought to us. He's a small chubby thing, with sad brown eyes and dark hair. He bows before me and mumbles a 'm'lord'. My wife feels sorry for him immediately and makes sure he has his own room and toys and lessons.
I send Gaveston's sister the majority of the proceeds, other than the boy's upkeep, I care little and I suspect they need it. Edward's given Gaveston the Earldom of Cornwall, which was previously crown held property, entirely how my father got the Lancaster lands. That said I don't think Gaveston knows how to make money off of that and I have pity for his sister, while he may not have asked to be caught up in all this, she certainly did not.
Our Tommy proves to be a quiet, respectful little lad. I heavily supervise any play with my little daughter, but he seems polite and shy. They are never left to play alone together and his room is nowhere near hers, with nurses upon her day and night.
"I know you hold my father's money. But can I stay here even when I get big?" He mumbles, holding a little handful of flowers he picked for Blanche. He brings them to her when they're out playing in the yard and I'm standing there watching, occasionally playing the fiddle.
"Well when you get very big you'll probably want to go to your own houses," I say.
He says nothing.
"Why?" I frown.
"The last place the boys made fun of me for picking flowers," he whispers.
I pat his head, "You'll stay as long as you like."
Winter comes and our little family is mostly content. Against my better judgement I like little Tommy and he proves to be a good boy, doing his lessons, and playing nicely with Blanche when she's of the mind. She takes to asking for him to play dolls with her and he always obliges. Maud and I as usual spend our days together, taking turns with the children and with work.
We're invited to Christmas at the palace, we decline. Thomas tells me I had better come.
"Did I lose a pregnancy this time?" Maud asks.
"No I broke my leg and can't ride," I say, penning my reply.
We don't go naturally. We have a quiet new year here. Tommy is old enough to learn on wooden swords and Blanche isn't about to let him do that without her so I spend snowy afternoons in the yard with both children impossibly bundled up, wooden swords in both their hands.  Maud stands by laughing and watching, mostly amused because the three year old is so serious and also naturally good at this.
Anyway apparently during this time Edward 'went to France' 'to get married' and I 'should have known that' and 'that sniveling Gaveston was regeant' and I 'have to attend the coronation'.
Thomas says all that. He comes. To my house. No we don't let him in. I meet him outside saying something about plague.
"YES you should have known that!? Do you do anything but fuck your wife and hide here with your single miserable kid?" Thomas snarls.
I don't really do much more than that, "Do you want an honest answer or do you want to keep shouting at me?"
"He left Gaveston as regent!"
"And—?" I wave a hand. Kings have their favorites that's how being king basically works. And Edward has no brothers his own age.
"Gaveston? The man's a country knight—,"
"You insult him on a daily basis I think, so it was never going to be you you'd not give the great seal back—who did you think he'd leave regeant the what six year old?" Edward's half brother, Prince Edmund, we all call him Kent, he's like maybe six. "Or one of his sisters you'd hate that too?"
"He left Gaveston. His bloody second king, that man is nothing," Thomas says.
"And? Did Gaveston do anything? Do we even know if he can read? He probably sat with his feet on the desk saying 'I'm here for emergencies come back when Edward is here do I look like I know how to do things'," I guarantee.
"Are you coming or not?" He asks.
"Not sick of me yet?"
He stares at me.
"Do I have a choice?"
"Go get your horse."
I go get my horse and things and kiss my wife goodbye such a long time Thomas is banging on the gate asking why he doesn't get to come in.  I bid the children farewell and promise to try to bring them presents from London. Little Blanche weeps at my leaving and is hesitant to leave my arms.
I find a fuming Thomas at the gate. It has been five hours.
"What?" I ask.
"Why do your guards not admit me?" The man who tried to drown me when I was four, asks me, stone cold serious.
"The baby's ill we think it could be plague," I say.
He stays well away from me for the rest of the ride so that's lovely. I nearly fully escape in London where his natural urge to abuse me overrides and he takes hold of my arm, twisting it.
"Where did you think you were going?" He asks.
I was going to go and try to buy that present for Blanche. I was going to bring her a new doll and Maude a new dog the ferret was looking kind of odd so I should get a replacement pet lined up probably and then sweets for all of us but mostly Tommy and then head back home.
"To a brothel," I say.
"Useless. You're supporting me, we need to end this Gaveston for good and—,"
"You're going to end, let me get this fully straight, the most hated man in all of England?" I ask.
"Yes—?"
"And what challenge is that? If you're so bloody clever you'd let Edward keep him. The man's an idiot, in a few years both would be your willing puppet. But it's not my game. You play with a winning hand already," I say, holding up my hands. For that stupid Frenchman's sake I hope this works.
"It's not about the challenge," Thomas says, but he knows it is.
"Isn't it? Because as I recall you like it when I fight back," I say, hand on his shirt, "It's why you haven't killed me yet. Or your wife. Why would you do that when there's still something left to torture?"
"I could do what you say just as easily," Thomas frowns.
"Can you? Prove it. You've turned the entire country against this man. Turn them back again. Then perhaps back again. It's only a game after all," I say, the words are poison on my lips, "Just a game. So play it. Do you think I got good at chess from playing only one side?"
He narrows his eyes, "You'd help me?"
I sigh. Maud had better be pleased I'm doing this. I'm being a good man. Sort of. "Of course. I am after all, your brother. You taught me well."
'"That I did," he says, hand on the back of my neck, "We'll see how much you paid attention."
We go to Dover to meet Edward's party returning with his French bride. Isabela somebody. I think. I do not pay attention and it is far too late to ask.
Gaveston is there with one of Edward's nieces he may be married to I don't know again it's probably too late to ask. They're matching so they think they're connected. I lose Thomas in the crowd and go over to Gaveston, taking his arm. The poor man nearly jumps.
"I hear you have a daughter now, Gaveston," I say. Thomas said he had a little girl.
"Yes, not four weeks old," he smiles at the mention of her.
"So smarter than you already?" I ask, pleasantly.
"Most definitely," he says, equally pleasantly, "And you as well."
"I'll say a prayer it looks nothing like you," I sneer, he's beautiful he knows it.
"Red hair like you, I wept," he says.
I smack his shoulder then move on to stand with my brother. When they disembark the ship Edward greets Gaveston with a kiss before any of the others. And I'm mostly upset because now Thomas is definitely going to talk to me about that for weeks and I don't even want to hear it.
The entire party returns to London. I work on Thomas, making sure he'll make good on our little agreement. I nearly warned Gaveston. That was friendly he needs to know I'm trying my best here. This is the only method I have to help him.
He was primarily responsible for organizing the coronation and feast, which is interesting because that man does not look like he should be responsible for getting himself to mass on time. I don't voice that. I want Thomas to have a little confidence that helping Edward and Gaveston to survive will be more fun than helping a two year old to feed itself. Which is not, going to be, the case, but he needs to believe that. The Earls meet to tell Edward to dismiss Gaveston. From what I don't know but of course Edward doesn't. I remind Thomas how fun it would be to make them all suffer. He loves making people suffer he buys that.
Richmond snatches my arm, bodily tugging me away from Thomas the moment we arrive at the feast.
"You'd better be doing something I swear to god Henry," he snarls.
"I have a plan. It's all I can do, my vote is as influential as yours in the end, and there's my brother to contend with," I say, "You know things will go very badly for me if I dare to oppose him. My life might be worth the gamble but my wife and daughter's are not."
"And you're a bloody Lancaster you're as silver tongued as I," Richmond says.
"And why does it mean so much to you?" I ask.
"Because he is an innocent man, and you fucking know it too Henry," he says, hand tight on my arm, "Edward may be an idiot, but he's a well meaning idiot. And Gaveston didn't ask for any of this."
"He did fuck the crown prince," I say.
"Do you in your heart of hearts think he can possibly say no right now? To the king of bloody England? Yes, Henry, in theory you and I both screwed someone when we were sixteen—,"
"I mean, we didn't," I say.
"No but are you going to expect your sons, or daughters, to have their lives poisoned because they had some simple affair before their reasoning was developed? He's caught they are going to crucify him if they have the chance," Richmond says.
"Fine I have a plan but it may not work," I say.
"And?" Richmond spins a hand.
"I'm giving the crown a knight and a bishop to protect our lone kings," I say.
"This isn't one of your games of bloody chess."
"Oh I assure you it is," I purr, "Now do you want to hear it?"
"Go," Richmond sighs.
"I've swapped Thomas to their side. It won't last long his humors don't. But I've convinced him it's more fun to play from a disadvantage and still win," I say.
"Jesus Christ," he breaths, clearly disappointed it can work.
"For now that keeps Gaveston alive. They won't rest they hate him too much. Parliament meets they'll likely ask the Earldom revoked if we're lucky. You and I must convince Edward to take concession. Sacrifice a consort we can still win the game it's usually a poor move but he'll lose Thomas if he does not and he'll lose without Lancaster on his side," I say.
"Agreed," Richmond asks. "What is your long term plan?"
"Get a concession that Edward likes and so does Parliament, get Gaveston and his family, out of England, not north of it unfortunately that's Thomas' domain. Off hand I say someplace in France or Isle of Mann," I say.
"Or Ireland," he points out.
"Right give him a job maybe he can do it, we don't know, he's got a couple of women to help him think," I say, "Next Parliament. You and I shut up. We don't argue. We don't vote for his dismissal or anything. Then when Edward's tired a bit of arguing with them we pray on what is left of his reason and offer a solution. Shouldn't be a problem but you make sure Gaveston will take that."
"Oh he will, he's got the child to look after now, he may be hot headed but he knows he needs to survive," Richmond agrees, "How long are you with us?"
"As long as I can keep Thomas, I'll do nothing to compromise my own family," I say.
"Understood," he nods.
The mood at the feast is vitriolic. The lords, mostly Thomas, have done their work and everyone despises Gaveston. He mostly ignores them, hurt in his green eyes, so sad like a dog that doesn't know why it's being kicked.
I find his sister lurking on the outskirts. A pretty girl, looks just like him, a few years younger than us, unwed by choice it seems, she remains with her brother.
"My lord," she nods when she sees me, a bit afraid.
"Lancaster's on your side, if only for a moment," I say.
She nods. She's not stupid she knows who I am.
"If things go poorly I may be unable to help you. My brother you—well you don't understand. Your brother's a good man that's what's getting him killed. My brother you've seen him. I can only do so much," I say.;
"I understand," she says, softly.
"But my wife has no such brother. And you and she are allowed to be friends as you well know no one looks at women. If you have urgent need, you or the baby, you write to Maud of Lancaster and we'll help you," I say.
"Thank you," she frowns.
"You got the girl yet? Who'd he marry?" I ask.
"Yes, she lives with us now, the king's niece, Maggie de Clare," she says, "The girl is thirteen."
"So now you're in charge of two thirteen year olds?" I ask pleasantly.
She smiles, "Something like that. They get on and she's glad enough to live with us."
"So at my count, you, the baby. The baby's mother who I just assume is attached to you don't know that—,"
She blushes.
"So I'm right good for you. And the thirteen year old. Four women, correct?" I ask.
She nods.
"I'll tell my wife you may call on her. Maggie's my cousin she can visit her cousins' wife. You're allowed to have friends, use that. And no one gets in Grosmont," I say.
"Thank you," she says.
"Don't thank me till you survive. In fact, don't thank me," I say, wading back into the crowd. I don't want to leave Thomas too long.
The feast is going awful. I think Edward alone is having a good time. Well Thomas is fine he doesn't count as a person. I eat nothing, mostly prowling. Thomas winds up following me so many people are unhappy this is like New Year for him.
Gaveston is helping Maggie down from some steps. The girl is little and in a very nice dress that's long, so he puts a hand on her upper arm to hold her up. I do the same thing to Maud on steps when in a fine dress and the girl doesn't even know how to walk in them. Anyway it's a completely normal interaction considering they are married and he's an honorable knight and not that I'll admit this, decent enough bloke.
That's a long way of saying Gaveston touches his actual wife and Warwick tries to tackle him for it saying something about unhanding her I don't know. I do know Thomas and I have a lot of pent up energy and if we didn't get to tackle someone else we were going to start trying to throw each other to the ground.
Gaveston was fully prepared to fight and looks completely surprised. Warwick is surprised as well, he just, fights but there's a red headed Lancaster on either side of him it must be some sort of hell. We don't even let him stay we just haul him all the way outside, pleased to have tackled something. I'm going to need to tell Maud about this she's had one of my children might have more maybe I should just warn her we both did that like it was some in bred instinct like a dog pointing at birds.
When we get back in Gaveston is loitering by the door before going back to Edward's side.
"Thank you," he whispers, clearly genuinely grateful.
"You're doing so badly it's sad now. I'm switching sides its like playing against myself," Thomas purrs.
"It's pleasing to part of such a historic failure," I say, squeezing his arm though, so he knows I'm doing what I can. He's not smart he may not remember our conversation or my promise to try.
Edward has parliament immediately after his coronation so I don't get to go home like I wanted. Maud writes me to say she remembers my love and knows I'm not here by choice and appreciates my daily letters.
Parliament is as vitriolic as I anticipated. The Earls are prepared to launch into full revolt. They never wanted Edward as king. His father exposed him as a sodomite already and more than that Edward has Gaveston here. If he were a warrior and won battles and bullied them back? They might not notice a preferred knight. But, possibly to his credit, Edward is no bully. He's a spoiled prince. Who had every fine toy, every lovely pet, got anything he ever wanted, got preached to since he could walk someday he'd hold the crown, and his father was much like mine. They taught us how to accept other's abuse not to inflict our own. But I'm not nice. Edward is. He's gentle. And god do they know it. If they'd forgotten Thomas reminds him.
We're the only major power, Richmond, and Despenser and Lincoln, the usual friends of Edward, are little more than that they're personal friends who hold minor power. Lancaster's a major power. But we'd risk open war if the Earls revolt. With Lancaster on his side Edward might win but that's a hell of a lot of men to simply take out of power. It's like when a pack of dogs won't hunt well. You poison the whole pack you don't have any dogs anymore. Edward may have a crown but he won't have a country if he doesn't do something. Us being on his side only prevents open war right now. And Thomas isn't strictly helpful.
"You want to fight? Lancaster loves a good fight let's play boys," Thomas says, feet up on the table, hands behind his head, simply feeding on the chaos.
"Sons of Edmund Crouchback don't shy from war let's have war," I purr, leaning on the table, head bent. They need to remember that while Edward might not be a fighter we are. And I'd like them to wonder when Thomas goes back to his own side, if I would draw arms with him. I don't participate in things but while Thomas is the richest man in England, I'm still in the top ten and I've seen war too.
Gaveston looks like a man just back from war. Edward nearly weeps in Parliament. He's angry. And he's refusing to yield.
Richmond and I corner him after the fifth day of it.
"Come to a bloody concession," Richmond says.
"He's committed no crimes!" Edward cries.
"That doesn't matter!" Did I commit a crime when I was four years old? "That doesn't matter to them, cousin—they want him gone. And they'll ruin you too. You've both wives, he has a child, come to an agreement."
"Why are you even here? Your brother's not on my side we know it. He's doing this for sport or something," Edward growls.
"I'm trying to help you," I say, "And yes that is what he's doing."
"So use them as a buffer while we've got them," Richmond says.
"I am king, I will not yield," Edward growls. And with that the conversation is done.
Parliament closes. I get to go home for a blessed few weeks. Despite our near row Edward calls me for the next one. In the meantime I appraise Maud of what has transpired.
"That's awful, poor Gaveston, and the poor girls yes of course they may come to me," she says.
"I did expect you'd agree, Aimee is kind and—the children didn't ask for any of it," I say, "Warwick is my brother's dog, he nearly harmed Gaveston before my cousin Maggie's eyes. It was awful. And they all hate him simply because of—lack of things to hate I expect—it's like—,"
"War?" Maud offers when I can't finish.
"My childhood," I breath.
She hugs me tightly about the waist. I wrap an arm around her shoulders. It's been four years nearly since Blanche was born and we've conceived no other child. We're not particularly trying to but. It's been the subject of talk. Most couples have perhaps two children. Of course I don't wish siblings on anyone.  But that doesn't mean people don't talk. People is Thomas.
"I did tell my brother that we had another child that died at birth so if anyone expresses sympathy I'm not responsible for what I tell my brother when he won't quit talking about my supposed fertility," I say.
"I got two condolences already. And Alice asked to make sure I'm still all right she won't believe you're not like him."
"I'm so sorry."
"I don't care tell him whatever to get him to leave you alone," she rubs my arm. We're watching Tommy and Blanche play with toy swords across the lawn. "When do you have to go back?"
"Another week. Edward wants me now," I say, dryly.
"He's frustrated. I mean I don't blame him Gaveston is his friend," she says, "I'd probably be quite stubborn too if someone was taking you away."
"Well, put like that," I say, "Doesn't he see that this is the best way to keep what he loves safe?"
"Not everyone sees it as sixty four squares," she says, quietly, "I know you'd make the best move to protect us."
"In a moment," I say, "No you're right he can't see that—" I break off from however I was going to finish it. Tommy knocked Blanche down in their game. I'm aware it's a game. I also bolt over to the children before Maud can even follow me, or my daughter can rise on her own.
But when I get there I stop. Tommy dropped his sword and is holding out a hand, helping her up.
"Are you okay?" He asks, softly.
She's climbing to her feet. I pick her up completely, heart still pounding.
"You all right?" I ask.
"Papa! I need to win now," she mumbles.
"Answer me, are you all right? Did he push you?" I ask, walking back towards Maud who was running towards us.
"I tripped on my shoes again. I like my summer boots, Papa," she says, kicking her little feet, "Can't I go play?"
"Yes," I say, looking up and seeing Maud's face.  Of course our daughter is completely fine she tripped on her own two feet. Because she's almost four. Nobody pushed her over then pretended to help her up. She's not even crying. She wants to go play with him.  That's what my head tells me.
"Yes go play," I say, slowly setting her down.
"She's fine," Maud says, gently.
"I lied too," I say, looking over as Tommy offers her her toy sword back.
"Yes, Henry, and you'd know if she was lying," she says.
"My parents and nurses didn't."
"And you would. She sleeps through the night no one comes into the nursery but us. She wants to play with him. She's bold and she laughs and she's not terrified of random things like water or chamber pots or —,"
"Oh my god you noticed?" I ask.
"I live with you yes I noticed don't—you don't have to tell me—,"
"I wasn't going to," I sigh.
"She's fine. She has got you. She knows fully well you're going to poison anyone who dares to make her cry," she says, gently.
"Keep telling me this," I breath, "Please. And watch her."
"I will. She has us," she rubs my arms, "We'll be fine. I'll keep her in my bed while you're gone that make you feel better?"
"Immensely."
I have to return to the May parliament. And so I do. I show up the night before to see how Richmond is.
"If you didn't bring me sack—,"
"I brought you sack," I say, tossing him a flask, "Well?"
"I've worked on Edward for weeks. He's not yielding. And I don't trust your brother to support us in a war," Richmond sighs.
"I don't trust my brother to close a door to stop a draft, let's get this finished before the rest of Parliament figures that out," I say. I've showed up to Windsor outside of London, so that means I lurk trying to see Edward. I do find Gaveston and the assorted women who've claimed him. They're in the garden and he's holding his baby girl who does in fact have red hair like her mother. She's in a pretty little dress and he's holding the child up, letting her pat his face.
I choose not to disturb them. I didn't need a reminder he'd be a kind father but there it is. Of course he likes his little girl. He's just a man.
A man they're talking of excommunicating.
Parliament opens as poisonous as it closed. Thomas, I've never seen him so happy. He laughs every other word, just sitting there giggling. So many upset people he'll probably live another fifty years it's like balm to where his soul used to be.
Edward and Gaveston, are at different stages of massive stress. Edward is in denial. Gaveston about fight or flight. The denial bit we need to work on. We being myself and Richmond. Open court won't do. Warwick goes so far as to walk up to Gaveston shouting insults. With Richmond's hand over his mouth Gaveston does little more than call him a dog and tell him to leave him. I'm well aware Gaveston has more clever remarks for that which are warranted but would do no good.
Richmond and I make subtle eye contact across Parliament. The time has come. Edward is reaching peak stress he has a new nervous tic now. Time to act. I can manipulate with love. We. Though a single gesture, agree for him to be the nice one and me to tap into my natural personality and be mean. Well, three hand gestures but Thomas is talking no one is looking at us.
"Do you want him to fucking die, you complete idiot?" I ask, dragging Edward bodily into a parlor where Richmond has wine.
"They cannot kill him I am king—,"
"Do you want to bet on that?" Richmond asks.
"Shut up. Shut up about being king. You are killing him," I say.
"How dare you," Edward stares at me.
"You'd do the same to me if I was destroying the person I love. Look at him! He has a sister, a child, he's going to lose them and soon his life," I say, "They want to excommunicate him."
"They can Edward," Richmond says, gently, "And they will."
"I do not yield," Edward says.
"You withdraw, tactfully, sacrifice a pawn to save a knight," I say, "Save his life."
"Move him. They don't want him to have the Earldom does that really matter? Fine. Take it back, give a little, but you keep him and keep him alive," Richmond says.
"Say you're sending him to France and send him to one of your bloody houses cut his hair they won't know him, you can still see him he's safe," I say. Safe.
"I am king I only want him by my side, my wife does not care, Maggie is happy I—," Edward begins.
"It's not fucking fair, life is not fucking fair. That's not right no, but we have to cope you can't stand here, expecting them to treat you and him properly it is so obvious they are not going to!" I cry.
"I will not bend to them!" Edward cries, about to throttle me.
"Good for you don't bend then and lose your crown do you not hear yourself? Have you not been in Parliament with us? They can do this for hours. They don't care," Richmond says standing between us.
"If you truly love him. You'll let him go," I say.
Edward grabs be my the shirt, dragging me off the ground.
"You want to kill me? Go right fucking ahead," I breath, staring into his eyes.
He drops me, "I'm—angry with you—I wouldn't kill you."
"Right. Because you're a good man. They are not. Do you want to know why I'm still alive? Because once someone held a knife to my throat and told me it was more painful for me to be alive so he left me alive," I say, my voice raw.
Richmond looks at me and determines I'm not acting and his face goes white as he realizes I'm talking about Thomas.
"They'll destroy him. Because now they know they can. We're both telling you, if he's not telling you it's because he's too fucking scared to. It's happen right in front of your eyes and you don't want to see it because it makes you feel better to pretend it's not happening because then you won't think you're at fault. Well you are now because you refuse to see it for what it is. Because you're stubborn and you have to be right. Do you want him to die so you can be right?" As I say it I'm shaking with anger and I think tears are streaming down my face.
Edward just stares at me, tears running down his face too.
"Okay, okay, we're going to switch now I get to be mad," Richmond says, patting my shoulder, "That was good. My turn, your turn you be nice."
"Okay," I breath, wiping tears from my face.
"He's right, you're going to get him killed.  Is having him what matters? Or having him where you want him? Or him being alive? Because you're starting to act like your bloody father except it's not taking Scotland with you it's keeping him," Richmond cries, completely incensed.
"How dare you compare me to my father—,"
"Look at me, Edward, we'll fix it. We'll work out anything. He can disappear for a few years come back with a different name. Hide him Brittany, or in the Aquitaine anywhere, between the three of us we have enough properties and loyal staff," I say, so gently, hand on Edward's arm.
"Right now you're acting like he's a playing piece and not a person what are you a Lancaster? You don't want me to talk of your father? Watch him rise from the dead to rip your hair out again as you tear up this country over that man," Richmond snarls.
"You are allowed to have the person you love let us help you save him," I say, soothingly.
"What—did you two just swap? That was so upsetting never do that," Edward says, looking between us, "Also, he's not even kind don't do that."
"I wanted a turn at being angry it's been a long day," Richmond says, pouring us each a cup of wine not Edward.
"Yes and it's good practice for me pretending to be nice," I say.
"Pretending—?"
"Edward. Do you want to keep arguing and hope they won't go to war when they've nothing better to do with their time? Or do you want to make a tactical withdrawal," Richmond says, "He can come to Brittany, visit me, you can give him a post in France, make him keeper of some remote castle. Then you go to see him as you please a couple of years he comes back to visit they've found someone new to shout at."
"Look we'd be having this exact same conversation if Richmond was married and had some mistress his wife hated, you and I would be offering to let her and any bastards come stay with us to save his reputation it's what we do," I say.
"You could have said you," Richmond says.
"Do I—look—like a woman would tolerate me? Hell, I informed the Vatican it qualifies as a miracle that my wife likes me," I say.
"Wait, really?" Richmond laughs.
"I was drunk. But yes," I say.
"I can't lose him," Edward has been crying during the side conversation. We're only such good friends.
"Look at me. We're doing our best here for you both. And so long as he's someplace safe you haven't lost him. If the country were at war would you not send a daughter or sisters to a priory?" I ask, gently.
"Do you want me to go out there and ask him to go with me to Brittany to save his neck and the future of his daughter? Because I will. And by the look on your face you know he might say yes that would hurt worse, wouldn't it? So be the man who saved him," Richmond says.
Edward looks up, "You wouldn't."
"I would. I love him too," Richmond says.
"No ,you don't," Edward puts the heels of his hands to his forehead.
"I do. Or I like playing you. Pick your option. But watch me. Give me some concession in five minutes or I walk out that door and go find him and ask him to come with me before he and his family are excommunicated. You know he loves those girls. He'll say yes. Don't make me do it. And don't make him choose," Richmond says, voice dripping with poison.
"Edward. Protect the one you love. He'll love you more, not less. He's not going to love you for destroying his life. And one of these days he's going to see it," I say.
Edward breaks down sobbing.
"Is that a yes I hear? Because I'm walking to the door," Richmond is, cup of wine in hand pitcher in the other but he is.
"Yes. Yes I'll do something, send him to Aquitaine I don't know," he whispers.
He arrogantly tells all of parliament he'll come to a concession then for days doesn't say what. Thomas thinks I know which I sort of do but it's amusing that he doesn't know. Edward promises to send Gaveston to Aquitaine, and not to excommunicate him, it's clear he doesn't plan to make good on it. I make sure Despenser and Richmond stay on him. I have to remain incognito now, with Thomas watching.
Parliament closes with Edward's more solid promises to remove Gaveston from England and take back the earldom since that apparently upsets them. I don't know why it's not like Gaveston knows how to vote in parliament, sabotage them, run the earldom, or possibly read. It's like Edward still owning it. All right I know why it's to do with hate not logic.
Before I leave I don't bother to see Edward, but I had a horse at Windsor I go to collect and Gaveston finds me.
"I know you had a hand in it," he says, "Thank you."
"Was he weeping my name?" I ask.
"Something of that kind," he says.
"Thomas is going to turn and soon. I must go with him," I say, "And Edward barely listened. I don't recommend you return to England. I wish that were a threat and not advice but here we are."
"He's not sending me home to France," he says a bit ruefully, "He's sending me to Ireland."
"Do you know where Ireland is?" I ask.
"Yes," he says.
I stare at him.
"No not really isn't it an island that way?" He points in the general direction of France.
"Other way," I say.
"The girls are coming," he says.
"Good. Don't return," I say, "not for a while."
He nods, "Your daughter and wife well?"
"Don't be nice now I'll think you've gone ill," I say.
"I shall enjoy being across the sea from you."
"Yes pity it's only a channel."
"It is—?"
"God help you."