\1/

I had finished a TikTok get ready with me. I plopped myself on my bed and scrolled through my email.

I groaned as I saw nothing an importance. I checked my spam folder just in case and saw an email from a recruiter saying that they would love to interview me. The lay job I had was in Rode Island, my home state. I had gone to Brown University, an Ivy League college. Before I moved to Miami, I worked at their lab for a while. But after I'd left, I stopped getting pai. Of course that's how it always went. But I had never planned on moving at all. It was on the spur of a moment. My mom died and my dad had left us a long long time ago. I felt as if I had no purpose there. So I moved, it was a terrible choice, money wise. I was practically flat broke by the time I bought my cheap studio apartment. It had come with a second floor, lucky me. But it was on the verge of crumbling down.

I texted my best friend, Chanel, my only one here. I had met her at MIA(Miami International Airport), she is much better of than me. She has everything an influencer would want. Money, cars, brand deals. I always looked up to her. She was like my sister.
>>>
30 minutes later, I heard a knock on my door. I rolled off my bed to go answer. Chanel immediately hugged me.

"AHH! I'm so proud of you girl!"

"Thank you so much.", I replied, laughing a little.
>>>
We sat in the small living room, talking and eating some popcorn I had left over in my pantry.

Chanel offered to buy me some clothes for my job interview. I shook my head and told her she didn't need to worry about it, and that I already had some in my closet. She nodded her head.

We decided to celebrate by getting something relatively cheap, ice cream. We went to the Cold Stone just down the street.
>>>
Chanel ordered Rocky Road in a waffle cone, I got a double scoop of Cotton Candy and Cookies n' Cream. We go to sit down and eat our ice cream.

Chanel suddenly started smiling and looking somewhere behind me and asked, "Hm, you like wiggas right?".

I looked at her and answered slowly, "Yeah.....and?"

Chanel responded in a singsongy voice, "Look behind you Der,", she continued, "I found you one he's been staring at you this whole time"

I had a feeling that she was exaggerating, no guy would have been staring the whole time. But I decided to check behind me. I blinked a couple times.

Were my eyes tricking me. Jack Harlow. Jackman fucking Harlow, was looking at me and started walking to our table. I rapidly turned my head back to Chanel and put my head down.

I started fixing my hair and taking deep breaths.

We pretended to mind our own business chatting about our families, my interview, and how it was going to be.

Then after a while, he finally spoke as he put his hand on our table, facing me "Hey beautiful, what's your name".

As I responded, he looked at me with a flirty smile. "I'm Dearra ".

"You look like a Dearra" he smirked.

I looked this man right in the eye and said firmly in a raised tone, messing around, "Why is that, is it because I'm black?"

His face started to turn red as he sputtered,  with his words jumbled up, "No! That's not why I said that- I mean the name fits you-", he paused realizing he had messed up again, but he spoke smoothly, "You're pretty and your name is too."

I started to smile and I giggled a little. "I was just playing with you, Jack".

"You already know who I am?" He slouched his arms.