Following the Light

The next morning, mom bangs on my door,"Honey, get up!" I pull my pillow over my face,"Alright, I'm getting up!" I groaned. Why was school so darn EARLY? I threw on my clothes and banged on Chase's door,"Get up!"

I didn't even bother with breakfast. I went back to my room after getting the whole 'crew' up and I pulled my knife back out of it's case and put it in an envolope folded between some notebook paper to make it less obvious. Yeah, like everybody walks around school with a dark blue case that says in silver script; 'Fine Knives'. I carefully observed my arms to see if any old wounds opened up before rolling down the sleeves. I'd only started cutting in November, and it was April now. But what about summer? Who wears long sleeves in the summer?

After all that was done, I was out the door, leaving Chase, who was being a little girl and 'primping' in the bathroom.

"Hey." I said to Jacob as I slid in a black rubbery seat. "How's life treating you?"

"Eh, not too bad. It hasn't murdered me yet. Say, my mom wants your number."

"I don't know it." I said. I never bothered to memorize my own phone number, sad right?

"You don't know it!" He laughed, and I scowled. "Sorry Sam, but who DOESN'T know their own number?! We're in the 9th grade dude!"

"Lazy, I guess." I said, paying vague attention as I watched some kid named Evan laughing. I looked over, and saw Chase sitting between the seats. 'Get real, Chase.' I thought. This kid really needs to grow up instead of trying to be funny for his friends.

I looked away without another thought.