Following the Light

"So, Sam, anyway, when you come over on Friday....." Jacob went on and on and ON about my visit on Friday, and I was getting sick of it. I lean back and close my eyes, nodding occasionally when he asked a question, although I wasn't entirely sure what he was asking.

"That's nice."I said.

"You're still coming, right?" He paused and looked at me.

"And go back on my word? I think not. Of course I'm coming, you bozobrain!"

Jacob laughed,"Well I'm not the one who decides to very RUDELY nap while someone is talking!"

I punched him on the shoulder,"I'm not the one that speaks a mile a minute!"

We kept on talking, and I feel something poke my back. I glance backwards a little. It's only Chase, so I ignore him.

"Sam!" He scowled.

"What!" I heard Jacob laughing.

"What is it!"

"Sam! Evan was beating me up! Why didn't you do anything about it!" He seemed mad for once. Huh.

"And?" I said.

He only made a face, looked away. Honestly, if he thinks I've got his back when he gets 'bullied' or whatever, he has another thing coming! I watch him as he looks away, stares out the window. I knew he was hurting then, and it was then I finally believed him. Had I been missing something? I shrug, and turn back my attention to Jacob. But all the while, a sickening feeling of guilt crawls up my spine. And I don't like it.

When the bus jerks to a sudden halt, I nearly fly out of my seat. We have the world's crummiest school bus driver, and there's a rumor that he's always getting speeding tickets, but the school board refuses fire him due to lack of funds. Well that's a sorry excuse for the day someone dies on here.

Everyone pushes and shoves to get out of the bus, and I see Chase sitting there, and I see fear in his eyes I hadn't noticed before. I shrug it off once more, and move on, move on to another nightmarish day of school.