Following the Light

Blackness.

Am I dead?

No, I hear voices....

"The odds are against him, ma'am, I'm sorry. It'll take a miracle for him to wake up." the voice said. What are they talking about? Can't they see I'm awake? See, I'll move my arm.... It won't move. What the heck?

I heard crying, and it dawned on me that I was in a hospital. Huh.

I wonder why.

Crying....crying.....

All of them over me. Mom. Dad. Chase.

Don't worry mom, I'm okay. That doctor is a liar. I'll be alright....

Hey, Chase. I'm sorry about the bus earlier. I'll try to be a better big brother, I promise....

Dad, it's not your fault you never listened to me, you were just working hard.

Chase talks to me. He tells me exactly what happened to me. To him. I'm glad. I don't remember. Hey, Chase, could you tell me my name?

He doesn't. He tells me that he loves me. That's new. Nobody ever told me that to my face. I'm not sure they told me that away from my face.

The nurses takes them away. You go away, nurse. Leave them alone. They want me more than you do.

Now look what you've done, you made mom cry.

Now I'm all alone.

Never mind, nurse, you can come back.

I scream for help, at the top of my lungs. But they don't here me.

My voice is trapped and suppressed inside my throat.

But I still cry for help....