Chapter 4 - Wherever You Will Lead

Author's Note: Truths come out. :D

~ Amina Gila

"This is amazing," Luke says cheerfully, as Vader's fighter streaks through space, nothing but stars – and smoking debris – all around them. He chose to wait to materialize until after the battle was over because he didn't exactly want to watch Vader shooting down all the rebels, though watching how easily he was able to take out an entire fleet was still... awe-striking.

"What is?" Vader asks, sounding a touch amused.

Luke adjusts his position half on top of the back of Vader's seat – this is only a fighter for one person, after all. "Uhh... your flying."

Vader's amusement flares, as he slows the fighter down, circling to head back for the waiting Star Destroyer. "Can you appear tangibly here?"

"I don't think there's room," Luke says, nearly laughing at the thought of Vader seeing the ridiculous position he's in right now, perched on the back of his seat, with his legs hanging over the cyborg's shoulders though he can't even feel it. Vader seems well aware that Luke is pretty much on top of him, though. "I tried and I don't think you could see me."

"I could not," Vader agrees, sounding thoughtful, "I am not immersed in the Force right now. That may be why."

Luke can't deny his disappointment. "I suppose that means I only can appear to you when you're meditating?"

"It appears so, or at least when I am focusing on your Force presence."

"Hmph." Luke leans closer, the top of his head phasing through the fighter. If he tried to appear physically now, he'd probably kill his ghost. If that's possible. "But I'd have to move if I tried to appear right now, anyway."

"I am well aware that you are on top of me," Vader replies, dryly.

"You can sense it that clearly?"

"Yes."

Maybe being a ghost isn't as bad as he thought it would be. He's still upset, angry over everything that's been lost, but... He's just getting more used to it. A certain sense of acceptance had settled over him now, and really, there's nothing he can do but learn to accept it. This is forever and no one can change it. It's – it's the natural order of things.

Vader seems a little better too, but there's still a crushing depression and emptiness that clings to him constantly, even if he occasionally seems to feel better, like right now.

"Do you mind?" Luke asks, a little sheepishly.

Vader moves, his hand passing right through Luke's foot. Maybe he should get it off the dashboard. "Why would I object to such a matter?"

Luke snorts. "Maybe because I'm a little old for this?"

"You are?"

He shrugs, though Vader can't see it. "Do we have to go back already?" The TIE fighter is just reaching the hangar doors now.

"For now," Vader replies, "There are matters I must attend to."

Luke phases through the wall of the fighter before Vader can stand up right through him, then waits for his father to climb from the TIE fighter to the ground. It's almost amusing to be able to move between so many people, all the while knowing none of them will ever be able to see him.

It'll always be their secret, not that there's anyone else either of them would have to tell about it anyway.

***

The only thing that keeps Leia's mind off Alderaan is being constantly on the move, doing everything she can for the rebellion. This is for Alderaan. Her people will have justice. Even if a certain sense of overwhelming hopelessness nearly crushes her at sporadic moments, she always tries to force it away, reminding herself that the fight isn't lost, and they won't stop until they win.