Chapter 5 - I'll Never Walk Alone

Author's Note: Family bonding. :D

~ Amina Gila

In the end, Vader doesn't have to wait long for Leia to show up on Mustafar. She lands in his private hangar that no one else is allowed in, in the Falcon which disguised its signature so no one will recognize it.

Something in her seems more settled, lighter, than the last time Vader saw her when she steps off the ship and for a few moments they just... look at each other. His daughter is finally here, and he suddenly doesn't know where to begin.

Leia takes a few steps closer, eyeing the area Vader knows Luke is standing, though she doesn't ask.

"You can sense him?" Vader asks.

Her gaze jumps to him. "Who?"

"The spirit."

Leia's eyes widen the slightest bit. She looks distinctly wary. "That's what that... is?"

"Yes. He is bonded to me, and likely has a connection to you as well. He is your brother."

She stills entirely. "What?"

"You had a twin brother," Vader explains, "But he was... killed on Tatooine."

"Killed?" she repeats, slowly, "He – But – Ben never mentioned him."

Vader can feel Luke's steadily growing impatience, and senses it when he reaches out to Leia's mind. It must've worked, with how much she starts in surprise.

"You – Hi?" she offers, uncertainly.

"I'm Luke," Vader hears him say, "I never knew I had a sister."

"I... never imagined a brother," Leia says, blinking. She seems to be feeling a little awkward, talking to literal space even if she can sense him, "You... how are you still here?"

"The Force gave him the chance to remain here in spirit," Vader explains, "You may be able to see him while meditating. You have done that before?"

"Of course."

"Then if you desire to see him, we can... go to my quarters."

Leia nods, following a few steps behind him, clearly still cautious as he leads her to the level of the Mustafar castle that's only for him. She throws curious glances around but sticks close to him. Vader pauses in the room with his meditation pod. He won't ask her to come inside it – she'd never be comfortable with that. There's not really room, anyway. "Here," he says, instead.

She glances around almost awkwardly, taking a few steps in and sitting cross-legged on the floor. "Are you going to just stand there?"

"Yes." He can't sit unless it's on something, after all, or he'd never be able to get up again. But he reaches into the Force, searching for Luke's presence the same time Leia does. He has a bond of sorts with Luke – it's not the same as one between living. It's a different kind of connection entirely, one he doesn't really understand, but it's still there.

And then, Luke appears in the middle of the room between them.

"I didn't know this was possible," Leia breathes, staring up at Luke.

"I didn't either, but a Force being appeared to me and taught me how to do this."

Leia's eyes widen. "The Daughter?"

Luke blinks. "You saw her too? I've been mostly talking to the Son."

She shakes her head. "I never saw him, but the Daughter was... telling me about this. That's how I knew to come here." Her gaze skitters to Vader.