Sleeping In

Tony woke up with a heavy pressure pressing down on his chest, an unwelcome weight disrupting his slumber. As he groaned and pried his eyes open, he found himself staring down at the sight of thick, unruly curls veiling his vision. With a gentle brush, he pushed the lush brown strands away from his face.

A moment later, the source of the pressure became clear—it was Henry. The young boy lay sprawled across Tony's chest, his head nestled snugly under Tony's chin. Henry's hands rested calmly on either side of Tony's shoulders, his legs splayed comfortably at the sides of Tony's own.

Tony stifled a soft groan and rolled his eyes in an attempt to mask his discomfort. The last thing he wanted was to be pinned down by the boy. All he craved was the elusive tranquility of sleep, a luxury seldom granted to a man of his stature. Despite his yearning for rest, Tony understood the importance of not disturbing the boy's slumber.

Henry's deep and undisturbed sleep was an unusual occurrence, a rarity for the boy. Tony knew all too well the struggle that often plagued Henry's nights—a battle against nightmares that haunted him regularly. The comfort the team provided was a familiar routine, easing the boy's fears of imaginary creatures lurking in the dark corners of his mind. To see Henry finally enjoying a peaceful night's sleep was a rare yet heartening sight for Tony, outweighing his own longing for uninterrupted rest.

Tony lay there for a few moments, his gaze fixed upon the ceiling. His reluctance to reach for his phone was twofold—he disliked excessive phone use, and besides, it was out of arm's reach. As he lay in this contemplative state, the sound of the bathroom door opening caught his attention, signaling Pepper's emergence.

"Good morning," Pepper greeted, a mischievous smirk dancing on her lips. She relished the knowledge that she would undoubtedly be teasing Tony about the situation later on.

"I hate you," Tony grumbled, his voice laced with annoyance as Pepper approached. Her eye roll in response was met with his usual grumpy demeanor. Dressed in a sharp pantsuit and heels, she made her way over to the bed.

"No, you don't," Pepper retorted, her voice a soft whisper as she leaned down to plant a quick kiss on Tony's forehead. She then shifted her attention to Henry, whose head was adorned with a tousle of unruly curls, and placed a tender kiss on the boy's head.

"Be nice," Pepper warned, her tone carrying a hint of admonishment as she straightened up. With a swift move, she retrieved Tony's phone and placed it within his reach before departing, likely heading off to work.

Tony engrossed himself in scrolling through articles that revolved around him, casually gauging public opinions. As Henry stirred and gradually lifted his head from Tony's chest, Tony reclined slightly, observing the boy. A soft chuckle escaped him as he watched the curls framing Henry's face, a sight that elicited a brief moment of amusement.

Setting his phone aside, Tony reached out, gently tugging at the strands of hair that obscured Henry's face. With a careful touch, he swept the unruly locks away, tucking them behind the boy's ears.

"Ready to vacate my chest now?" Tony interjected abruptly, just as Henry seemed poised to speak, his words delivered in his trademark brusque manner.

Henry glanced down, realizing his position atop Tony's chest, before shifting his gaze back up at the man. "Bu' i's cold," the boy mumbled, his voice carrying its usual sweetness, a tone that always seemed to tug at Tony's sentiments, despite his efforts to remain unaffected.

"Then lie next to me, just give me some space to breathe," Tony suggested in a gentle tone. He carefully nudged Henry off his chest, guiding the boy to roll to the other side of the bed. As Henry settled on the unoccupied space, the chilly sheets caused a shiver to run through him, prompting him to instinctively nestle closer to Tony's side for warmth.

Tony let out a low groan, a mixture of reluctance and resignation evident in the sound. Nonetheless, he shifted onto his side, drawing Henry close to him. With one arm encircling the boy's abdomen and the other positioned beneath Henry's neck, Tony's fingers intertwined with the unruly tangle of curls that adorned Henry's head. He gently pressed the boy's head against his chest, allowing the younger to seek solace in his warmth, fostering a sense of security in their embrace.

As Tony lay there, enveloped in the quiet, he pondered Henry's unwavering fondness for him. It puzzled him; after all, he wasn't particularly kind or affectionate towards the boy. Despite his own reservations, he couldn't deny that Henry seemed to favor him over the other members of the team.

Eventually, the soothing rhythm of Henry's breathing indicated the boy had drifted back into slumber. Tony, feeling the weight of drowsiness pressing upon him, soon followed suit, succumbing to the gentle embrace of sleep. The peace of the moment enveloped them both, providing a brief respite from the tumultuous world outside their shared cocoon of warmth.