Arabella

I was already regretting my decision.

Somehow, word had gotten out that I would be reemerging in the public for Margaret's wedding. And now, the only thing separating me and over a thousand fans was the door of my car.

A sigh escaped my lips. My heart was beating really fast and my hands were shaking. There was no way I could have gotten used to this attention. Initially I had enjoyed it. A painting born out of severe depression resonated with many and soon after I found myself invited to interviews, on the front cover of magazines and having multiple followers on my social media handles. If only I knew then, that these same people who loved and admired me would turn their back on me.

'You sure you want to do this?' My secretary, Danielle asked me. Her face was scrunched in worry and her hand hung in the air, as though she was about to touch me.

I gave her a small smile. One that didn't reach my heart. 'I'm alright. I just need a second'

'You don't have to go. Margaret would understand. You've been through so much already'. She added.

I looked out the window, past the paparazzi at the front and at my fans. I saw young kids, little girls whose eyes were filled with hope. They probably saw me as some angel who found her way back to heaven. In a way, I didn't want to disappoint them. I knew some people wanted me to fail, but then there were some who genuinely wanted me to come back to my feet.

Including me.

'I have to do this. There's no better time. Besides, aren't you tired of being cooped up in that big house with me?'

I used a light tone, to show I was joking but Danielle looked at me with a sad expression.

'Anytime you wish to change your mind, I'll be ready'. She ended up saying. I sighed again and gave a nod.

'Okay, we've been asked to come in'.

I took in a deep breath and watched as the bodyguard opened the door. As I stepped out, the screams became louder and the flashes went off. I kept my head low and I followed the bodyguard towards the entrance of the hotel. I heard people say welcome back and I love yous and you look pretty. I heard the paparazzi ask if I was back for good, and where I was but I didn't answer. I couldn't answer. Not now.

When we got into the hotel, I breathed a sigh of relief. Danielle clapped her hands once.

'Well that was scary'. She said. I nodded, silently agreeing.

'Ari!!!!!'

I turned to the sound of the voice and saw Margaret running down the stairs in stiletto heels. Is she trying to break her ankles before the wedding?

I doubt she cared much about it as she ran towards me and gave me a bear hug. I hugged her back, taking in her honeyed scent.

'Gosh, I'm so happy you're here'. She said. 'I'm almost crying'.

I rolled my eyes. 'Please don't'.

She laughed and hugged me again. I missed her.

When we broke free, she immediately went to hug Danielle who hugged her back with the same intensity. Danielle was like a block of wood, she was even more stoic than I was. It was glad to see genuine happy emotion from her.

'Oh no, look at you. You've lost weight! Oh my! Is that wrong to say? It's just she should have treated you better'. Margaret exclaimed as she touched parts of Danielle's body.

I indeed should have. Danielle had been loyal up till now, she was the only one I allowed access to me. She became everything to me at my lowest and I realized it must have taken a toll on her mentally.