6.

For once, Dazai was actually doing his job.

He didn't offload his work onto Atsushi or Jun'ichiro. He didn't slack off on his work. He got it done as quickly as he could, then rested his head against the desk and tried to get to sleep.

In truth, he hadn't slept very well last night.

Sleep was a fickle thing for Dazai. He knew, logically, that his body needed it; the same way he knew his body needed food and water, the same way he knew it needed exercise. It was easy for him to accidentally go days without sleeping if he let himself, simply because he never actually felt like he had to sleep. He had tried to amend that during your time in his apartment for your sake- so you wouldn't worry, but after sleeping decently for a few nights, he had fallen victim to routine and had a killer headache when he got to work that morning.

Kunikida, clearly, did not buy that, the way he beelined straight for Dazai's desk the second he saw him.

"It isn't even lunchtime and you're already slacking off?" Kunikida scolded him, and Dazai groaned as he lifted his head to look up at him.

"Already did my work for the day," Dazai said. He rubbed the sleep from one of his eyes. "You can check my computer, if you want. Or ask Atsushi or Jun'ichiro if you really don't believe me."

Kunikida narrowed his eyes, then walked around the desk to verify Dazai's statement.

Once he was seemingly satisfied and saw that Dazai had, in fact, done his work, he sighed and stood up to his full height, then rested his hand on Dazai's shoulder. He used the leverage to turn the chair Dazai sat in to face him. "What happened?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Something happened. You're actually working. You're trying to get your mind off of something, what is it?"

Dazai paused, then huffed. "I hate working with detectives, y'know that?" Kunikida didn't respond, waiting for him to continue. Dazai thought for a moment, looking for a way to articulate it, before your name passed his lips in lieu of proper explanation.

Kunikida still looked unsatisfied.

"Yosano's patient? What about him?"

"We got into an argument," Dazai said. "And he left."

"You got into an argument with him, and he left, and that was somehow enough to upset you enough to make you actually do your job?" he asked, skeptical. Clearly, he had expected something more earth-shattering.

"He left with Chuuya."

Kunikida's eyes widened the slightest bit, then leaned a bit closer, volume dropping.

"Did he get his memories back?" When Dazai shook his head, Kunikida clearly got lost in thought for a moment. He leaned against Dazai's desk, trying desperately to look casual about the situation. "What happened, then? Have you told President Fukuzawa about this yet?" Dazai shook his head again.

"He had his work phone on him," Dazai explained. "Mori was his emergency contact. Since, y'know, the whole..." Dazai trailed off, gesturing vaguely. Kunikida nodded. "Anyway, Mori called him. Said Chuuya was picking him up so he could go back. He told me about the call."

"And that's how the argument started," Kunikida said, drawing the conclusion before Dazai had to say it. Dazai hummed a quiet 'mhm' and nodded. "How do you think Fukuzawa will react?"

"I'm not sure, haven't figured out how to break the news yet," Dazai responded. He could tell from the way Kunikida's expression hardened that that was a surprise.

"And what about the Port Mafia?" Kunikida asked. "Is he even qualified to go back to work?"

Dazai shrugged. "He didn't even recognize me. He can't read Japanese, he can barely speak it. I'd hesitate to say he's fit for any job, let alone the job he was doing for the Port Mafia." Kunikida adjusted his glasses.