1

New Encounters

Leo

I wave goodbye to the art store owners-they were nice enough to let me stay late-and continue around the corner back to my apartment, it's only a few more blocks. I really like this town, so clean and friendly. It all happened really fast. I graduate from high school without a clue as to what college to go to or what job to take on to support the family, I eat dinner at some fancy restaurant and I go to bed after we get home-all fairly normal. I wake up the next morning to my mother jerking me back and forth, abruptly waking me from my sleep. She's rambling something about art and college, and then dad walks in and pries her from my groggy-and now nauseated-corpse. He calmly helps me up and says that I might as well hear it from the man himself because neither he nor mom can explain it in a calm manner. I shake my head and duck into the bathroom where I throw up much of last night's food, wipe off my face and continue walking alongside him to the front room where a man in a business suit is standing. He's old; you can see it in his face. He's got a head full of shaggy brown hair and grey eyes, they seem small in his wrinkly and joy ridden sockets. He's muscular, from the way the suit fits him he's a body builder or just can't stop eating cheeseburgers and working out. He smiles at me widely and says my name-he's got a burly Santa Claus voice.

"Do you know who I am?" He asks me.

I yawn and shake my head simultaneously. "My parents haven't told me anything, I don't think they can-they're too giddy for words." I say sleepily, looking at the man with half opened eyes.

He laughs; I'm surprised he didn't 'ho-ho-ho' with that voice of his. "I am Allen Roughbrook, principal and co-founder of Bluebrooke College of the Arts."

My eyes flew open with the mention of that school. Bluebrooke college is where most of the world's renown artists went. It's an eight hour drive to the town it's in. I never dreamed of going there because I didn't want my dreams crushed.

He smiles. "Can you guess why I'm here, Leo?"

"To give me a scholarship?" I say, doubt in my voice.

He laughs again and I become worried. "That is one of the things, yes. I'm here to offer you a job as an art instructor at Bluebrooke, and as I know you're only 18 you'll take the night courses there. Do you accept my offer?"

The biggest smile makes its way on to my face. "Yes, I accept your offer Mr. Roughbrooke thank you so much how did you even find-"

"You can call me Mr. Robin, and I found you in an art gallery. Your high school professors sent some of your works there and while I was in town I saw them and I thought I'd come and find you. You're brilliant Leo."

"I'm speechless Mr. Robin, um...when do I start?" My whole body is trembling with adrenaline, staring at Mr. Robin like a god.

He chuckles. "Well considering our school year is a bit different than normal colleges, you start in two weeks."

"Alright, and um-"

"Oh and I forgot, I'm paying for all your fees. You've got an apartment in town already and your car is outside. The home address and college address is in the GPS and I'll be paying for your living costs. Your work and class schedules are in the passenger seat along with your house keys and apartment number. Don't worry though; you're still getting the same salary as the other instructors. Here are the car keys, I'll see that you're all moved in in two days and I'll be awaiting your arrival in two weeks." He smiles and pats my shoulder; we're about the same height. "I'll see you later Leo."

He calmly shakes my parents hands and leaves, I'm still stuck standing there as he drives off. My parents jump for joy and shake me. I move in a very controlled manner and throw on my trainers. As soon as they're on I bolt out the door and down the road, I need a run to compose myself!