1 • Mad Dog-Chan

Ejiri Mayumi was a second-year student at Aoba Johsai High School. If you asked her classmates, she had great grades, was very responsible and upstanding, and was really pretty despite seeming the quiet type.

Mayumi got to spend her first year of high school at Shiratorizawa. But she transferred at her mother's request. She didn't make a big effort to have close friends as she doubted it would last, y'know, same as before.

She had few friends in school so far, most were classmates or people she could at least call associates.

• ◇ • ♡ • ◇ •

The day was normal, there was nothing new so far. Waking through the halls the same as ever, Mayumi noticed someone upset standing at the vending machine. Though the person there seemed pretty occupied.

He was tall and had very short blond hair, two stripes of a brown color making his hair stand out more. I think I've seen him around before but I'm almost sure this is the guy my classmates said was the "scary dude from class 1" and "Mad Dog-chan, according to Oikawa-senpai."

He wore a scowl as he aggressively tapped the button on the vending machine over and over. He looked quite frustrated.

Hesitantly, she walked over next to him silently. Looks like his snack got stuck halfway, just barely hanging onto the edge.

She looked up at him and he turned to her with that same scowl. She didn't say anything but gestured to the machine so she could use it, seeing as he wasn't exactly using it anymore.

He took a step back but didn't leave, probably planning to try again after she finished.

Yumi looked at him for a moment before turning back to the machine, scanning the options.

The snack the boy was eyeing was some sort of granola bar but the snack above it looked quite good. She wanted to help him but was also tempted to get that other one...

She inserted a bill into the machine and her fingers hovered above the button for the boy's snack.

Oh, this is easy. Two birds with one stone.

She moved her finger and pressed the button for the strawberry Pocky. Watari says there's no way she could have continued life without ever trying it.

She and the boy said no words as they listened to the machine's rumble, and she made no effort to look at him because it felt a little awkward to even try.

The Pocky slowly got pushed out and as expected hit the other snack on the way-- both snacks dropped!

"Yes!" she cheered in a whisper to herself as she crouched down and took both snacks out of the slot, a stupid smile of satisfaction stretching across her face.

Finally, Mayumi turned around to face the boy, whom she could still feel the presence of. She smiled and held out the snack in my hand to him.

His scowl seemed to have faded, for the most part, but he just stared. Stared at her, then at the snack in her hand, then at her again. He wasn't taking it.

She tilted her head and motioned her hand for him. Take it?

He still didn't say or do anything. Her smile faltered before it turned into a more mischievous grin.

"Catch."

Before he knew it, he had caught the snack instinctively after she tossed it to him with no other warning.

He looked back at her as she turned around and walked back. He didn't follow her. Or get mad at her. Or thank her. Or say he would repay her. Or try to give it back. But that is more than fine with her.