Ch 18: Worthy (Eh'kt)

"Where did she go?"

This stretch of Menthla woodland known as the Revenant Wilds was an inspired choice!

Tall, swaying red reeds surrounded me in all directions, like a haunted bamboo grove densely packed in unending shadows.

I kept the visor and vents open on my helmet to track Lost Coyote's scent while scanning the terrain for her claw marks on the reed husks and in the white moss below.

A gentle creaking to the south put my fangs on edge.

I had to be mindful not to give chase too quickly, otherwise I risked getting stuck where the reeds grew too tightly. It was already difficult to avoid making contact with excess flora while stalking through the forest.

A branch cracked, and I couldn't ignore it.

I leaped from my roost in the reeds and bounded pole to pole toward the movement ahead.

Suddenly, the red pole reeds behind me gave way, severed at the base.

"How did she...?"

I had to move or risk being crushed!

I spun and pivoted left, only to find my face confronted by a wall of sharpened spikes. There was only time to duck my head and let my weight fall to the ground.

Shit!

My leg landed on one of those little foot-tall patches of sharp blue crystals protruding from the white moss.

The gash was minor, and I had to commend Lost Coyote for drawing first blood, but there were still five more hours remaining until dawn.

A ghastly howl emanated from all around. The razkur was moving fast on the peripheral and undoubtedly preparing her next attack.

My chest thrummed in exhilaration. Razkur tactics were always wily, and this particular one was remarkably resourceful.

I've been eagerly awaiting the day when Lost Coyote would claim her place as my Adjutant and I had every intention of making sure she earned it!

The reeds above me trembled, and a shadow darted across the canopy.

Move now!

I hopped to my feet and climbed halfway up a large pole. There were several blotches of unidentifiable heat wavering in the distance, but my primary concern was the cold spot lurking nearby.

Razkurs could naturally cool their skin while hunting and Lost Coyote had trained in wielding the skill on command. They could only maintain the reduced temperature in short bursts, but if timed correctly, the maneuver was more than enough to evade the heat sensing pits under my lower lip.

I aimed for the black phantom zipping through the reeds, but pursued the ambiguous shape with caution.

Female razkurs were far more slender than Zhaguai and Lost Coyote was slightly shorter than average. Her form slipped easily between the reeds, while I could only mitigate incoming bruises.

As predicted, she led me into a benign thicket.

I rammed my horns into the foundation of a few reeds and toppled them forward to block her path.

In a blink, Lost Coyote shot up and over my head.

I twisted to block her kick, then slashed to throw her off balance.

Lost Coyote managed a few sharp strikes with her fists to my gut, then she dipped behind a wide red reed trunk.

I hacked through with my dagger and charged, but the razkur was gone.