Will You Keep Your Promise?

[TC] - "target country", the country the mission is in.

[NTC] - "nationality of target country".

[CC] - "collaborating country", the country you are working with.

[NCC] - "nationality of collaborating country".

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

The small town where you had lived during the last months of the mission had not been completely wiped out by the shockwave generated by the bomb dropped on the border, but it had damaged most of the buildings that were closest to the hit point. It was still unclear why this had happened: the president of the [TC] had avoided making any further public statements, after refusing the US president's intervention in any way.

It had been understandable from an external point of view, since the issue had to be resolved between the two countries involved, but the president of the [CC] insisted that he should intervene, pointing out that you were there, on the ground, together with one of their agents and her son.

However, the situation you were in was too complicated to be resolved in any way.

The reason for the explosion had not yet been fully clarified, so the question of how to react and how far to go still remained open, because, obviously, the [NCC] president did not want to escalate to outright war and, despite the perennial tensions, it could have been a mistake, although the [NTC] president's silence, even in the face of his offer to discuss it in person, seemed to push the situation in one dangerous direction. The [NCC] president assumed that perhaps, before talking about it and if he was not responsible for it, he wanted to try to understand more what happened and know how best to approach it; therefore, he wanted to give him a margin of time to think about it, without exaggerating and pointing out the urgency of a response, given that some of his citizens had lost their lives or were in critical conditions.

In short, he did not want to exclude anything, so as not to shoot himself in the foot, misinterpret the situation and put his country in further danger.

In any case, the presidents, both American and [NCC], had asked that their citizens be allowed to return to their countries of origin until everything was settled, but that did not guarantee your return, because you were only [NTC] and had no other rights than those offered by [TC], that is, in the field of mobility, none.

There was no way to get the three of you out of there. You had to do it yourselves, because the collaborators on the ground, who were in the vicinity of the customs post, had been killed by the explosion and the place of impact, on both sides of the border, had been made off-limits to those who did not live there - even though they had been asked to leave as well -, were not soldiers or state security officers or firemen intent on putting out the various small fires that had broken out; thus, the controls were increased, making any kind of action impossible without it being misjudged and igniting the ruckus.

Sending someone into the territory of [TC] was even more complicated, not only in terms of getting them across, but approaching the place where you lived, as it was swarming with military personnel who didn't have a minute's rest, who kept a watchful eye on the population of that area and were constantly on the lookout for new bodies hidden among the rubble.

Your identity card had been found by one of them, who had reported everything to the one in command, as he stood by the now completely non-existent customs house, thereby being overheard by the other party, who had communicated it to the American president.