Chapter 15: a shower at last

Before they drove into the next town, they stopped and Conrad trimmed Rakkon up.

"There, not bad but we need a brush and proper scissors. Now, Rak, I'm going to wrap myself in blanket and pretend to be asleep. Anybody asks, I'm your girlfriend. Got it."

"Yeah, got it."

It was mid-afternoon when they drove into the small town and Rakkon was very careful this time, driving around to check for any signs of the Jeep before he went and topped up on fuel and water. He then drove around to the back of the town's only hotel where there were six demountable motel units located. Leaving the Pup in the Cruiser, he went into the bar to register.

He returned after a few minutes, "Okay Pup, we're in unit three. By the way," he added in a whisper, "I registered us as Ric and Katie Walsh. I had to come up with some names quickly."

"Not bad," Conrad grinned, "So . . . Ric, there are a couple of people about, so it might be best if you carry me as though I'm asleep."

"Come on then."

Inside the room: "That was just like a bride being carried over the threshold."

"Shit, you're a dope, Pup."

"Bags the first shower."

"Go for it."

Then calling out, "Ric, I can't put those filthy clothes back on, can you find me something of yours."

"What, a weedy pup like you thinks he can wear a big thug's clothes?"

"Don't be nasty to your nice girlfriend. Just find me something, please?"

Later when Conrad came out from the bathroom, he was wearing Rakkon's best shirt - a collared, long-sleeve one -  and a pair of cotton boxer shorts that Rakkon used as pyjamas.

"This was the best you could do?"

"Yeah, Pup, I couldn't think of anything else."

"Do I look stupid?"

"No, you look kinda cute actually," he laughed.

"Okay, it's a start," Conrad shrugged and smiled, "Now, stinky thug, you go and have a shower."

Rakkon came out of the shower later to find Conrad was in the bed fast asleep. He gave an amused snort and being careful not to make any noise, slipped out and went back to the bar.

He returned a couple of hours later and kicked the door gently, "Katie, open the door."

Conrad, who was awake and trying to find something to watch on the TV, leapt up and opened the door. Rakkon came in carrying a tray with two plates of food on it.

"Where've been?"

"In the bar."

"Getting pissed."

"No, just a few beers."

"Getting pissed."

"Shut up, Pup. I got us some hotpot, the landlady's speciality."

"Geez, it does smell good."