01. the new kid is spectacularly irritating

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜
chapter one: the new kid is spectacularly irritating

[a/n]: i really try to match up the ages of my actors/actresses in these fics, so in case anyone cares, sasha pieterse (the fc) was thirteen years old in s1 of pretty little liars. elle can be snappy sometimes because percy makes her uncomfortable, but she's genuinely very sweet. just clearing things up so her character doesn't confuse you later on. enjoy!!
━━━

━━━ 'THE STORM RAGED OUTSIDE, THE tree branches knocking forebodingly against the cabin's windows, the rain pattering against the roof of the house. The floorboards creaked with Margot's every step. The hand that held her mug of chamomile tea shook. There seemed to be hushed whispers of warning entwined with the ghastly howl of the wind, but it maybe it was just her imagination, she--"

"Earth to Elle!" Annabeth snapped, flicking her on her temple.

Isabel Bennet's eyes shot up from her notebook, her scribbles coming to an abrupt halt. She closed her book and clicked her ballpoint pen, narrowing her eyes. She didn't like to be interrupted.

"What is it?" she sighed, her jaw still set with frustration. Annabeth's eyes twinkled with mischief and impending discovery. "This better be important."

"Oh, it is," Annabeth confirmed, tugging at Isabel's sleeve impatiently. "You can get to Margot and her spooky adventures later. This can't wait."

━━━ "THIS?" ISABEL HISSED. "THIS IS what couldn't wait? Some...puny kid?"

The infirmary was cloaked with darkness, the luminous moon casting a dark shadow on Isabel's face, as if she was a character in a grainy noir film. The thunder boomed outside, and Isabel's skin crawled with every rumble. A blond boy lay in the cot, the white canopy created a ghostly veil over his figure. Drool trickled from the corner of his mouth and onto the pillow.

His cheekbone was marred with a gnarly purple bruise. Isabel was not a stranger to those.

"He's not...well, yes, actually, he is a puny kid," Annabeth said, shrugging at her friend. "But this puny kid defeated the Minotaur."

"Solo?"

"Solo."

"Wow."

"'Wow' is right," Annabeth concurred. "I think he could be the one."

Isabel watched as he blinked, his eyes adjusting to the room as he lifted his head slightly to scan his surroundings. "Where am I?" he groaned.

Isabel's lip curled, still annoyed about being interrupted just to visit this sorry sight. "You drool when you sleep," she said bitterly, her hands on her hips.

"Oh, ew," Annabeth whispered. "He does, doesn't he?"

The boy drifted back to sleep, lulled by the hushed whispers that echoed off the walls of the infirmary.

"Let's get out of here, Anna," Isabel demanded, her feet inching towards the door across the room. "Kid's out like a light, anyway."

━━━ THE NEXT MORNING, ISABEL WAS perched on a smooth, mossy rock by the lakefront, jotting in her notebook again. The gray pebbles crunched quietly under her feet. The water was murky, but still glimmered and reflected the early sun.