5

Worry pulls at her frame; she gets up and paces to try and escape it. Her sleepwear is warm brown, with little teddy bears peeking from pockets. She is wearing grey fuzzy socks with stars on them. She feels like she's about to be sick.

Addison, Addison, Addison.

She breathes in and out, paces from one wall to the next. It's eerie without Grace; the walls seem to crowd in. Even the pile of stuffed animals seems like it might try to eat her.

Addison has been told to leave once before, when she was 16. Before today, she would have considered it her worst birthday.

("Hey Addison! Mom is out, let's go into the kitchen and bake some cookies!" It's a Friday afternoon, they had just gotten to Grace's, and it's about to be a good night. Addison giggles and chases Grace from the foyer and into the great big, blindingly white kitchen.

Grace sometimes doesn't talk to her as much anymore at school, but they still always hang out on the weekend.

Usually, they're not allowed into the kitchen; Grace's dad used to be a chef, and so it's his space. But Grace doesn't care, because "why should I? He left us; it's not like he died."

Grace's mom liked to keep everything clean and tidy and unused. Almost like the man would come back and see it and say.

Grace's dad hated cooking, and it's funny because according to Grace, her mom had hated him too. Until he left her for her niece.

They don't like to talk about the weird relation of Grace's half-brother; they don't like to talk about them at all.

Which is fine because Grace is always there for her when it matters.

They bake cookies, chocolate chip because it's the only box mix in the pantry. They mix the sachets in fancy stainless steel bowls and use premium baking paper-lined trays. The cookies smell nice as they bake in the behemoth of an oven; Addison dances with Grace to some foreign song while they wait.

It's the best birthday ever.

The cookies taste nice, but Grace mentions something about rum balls. It doesn't sound very appetizing, Grace laughs at Addison's scrunched-up nose.

"What, you've never tried alcohol before?" At Addison's doe-eyed look, Grace stops laughing. Which is funnier because she has mixing powder on her nose, and her straightened high ponytail has deflated into a curly mess.

"But you're 16 now!" It was said with dumb belief, like everyone was getting drunk at 13 or something. Now Addison had to try and think back about all the times Grace seemed a bit strange...

A mischievous look shadowed her best friend's face.

"You know what? I have just the thing." The thing was a chilled wine bottle, something fruity and with a ladybug painted on a pink label. It was at the far back; Grace had to get on her knees and search for it.

The first sip was horrible, but the half glass they were sharing was a little more bearable with every sip.

It didn't actually taste too bad, and it made her feel a little fuzzy. Plus, the cookies were done and they tasted delicious! Addison was having the best day ev-

"What... is going on here. Grace?" They hadn't heard the car, and the music was loud enough, wine sweet enough, to miss the sound of the front door. Now Grace was the one to look like a deer stuck in headlights; she bounced back from the counter and away from Addison.

On the counter in front of her was a quarter glass of warm-colored liquid, and beside it was the wine bottle.

Sometimes things happen, and it's almost like it's not real. Like right now. She watches Grace's mom from behind someone else's eyelashes, speaks with someone else's tongue.

"I'm sorry-" It doesn't matter, done is done, and the look on Grace's face tells Addison her friend has gone, shut down and deep inside her head.

"I'm sorry, Addison, but leave. Now." There was a tremble in her voice, her red-stained lips shaking. There was a wild look in her eyes, and though Addison is taller, then she was scared.

She didn't look back, and when she left she thought she heard a scream.)

But Addison has come to know, there is always something worse. She stops by Grace's vanity, and on top sits a picture of the two of them at a circus. They're smiling, and young, and Addison would do anything to go back.

"Addy..." Her heart freezes a little in fear because Grace has always been light on her feet, but more so because of the tone of voice.

Her friend has fought; there are tears in her words, but sometimes you can't push back. Not all the way. Addison closes her eyes.

"I tried; I'm so sorry, Addison." When they were kids, it was easy to be happy. Addison tried to stay optimistic, but it was so hard to be happy these days.

A carousel, bright lights against a blue velvet sky. Buttery popcorn with her best friend, when happy came easy and without thought.

"It's okay, Grace."