Chapter 4: First Day of School

After the whole fiasco of getting Hermes used to the modern world... (And teaching him how to use a Cellphone) The dreaded day of returning back to school came around.

I sighed as I woke up early to take a shower and change for school...

I hopped over to the kitchen to make myself some toast for breakfast when Hermes noticed me awake...

"Odd, you're not usually awake at this hour." Hermes remarked, I was too tired because I'm not exactly a morning person but I just replied with an 'mhm'

Hermes looked at me carefully, I noticed that he was a rather curious god when it came to new things, maybe because gods thought humans were fascinating yet simple creatures?

He stared straight at me and I had just a nagging feeling he was squinting his eyes. "You don't look dressed for a formal occasion."

Oh right, 'schools' didn't really exist back then...well they did but that was for the more 'privileged' and teachers were usually Tutors...did I get that right?

"Uhm...so this is gonna be complicated...in the modern world the rich aren't the only ones who can get education..." I explained, but technically the rich get more 'privilege' for tutors and private schools...as well as 'Top of the Line education'. "I go to a school, basically where kids get their education and stuff..."

"Oh...how do you pay?" Hermes asked, as curious as ever. "The government pays, I go to what's called a 'public school' helps with the bills..." I answered drinking a glass of water afterwards...

He hovered over to me as I went to the front door to get my shoes.

"Can I go with you?"

...
...
...

"What?"

"So you were put in charge for enrolling your..." Principal Sanders looked at Hermes with a suspicious look. "Cousin...to school? But didn't know where?"

"Other schools around this area is expensive...besides it's much safer to keep him around me." I spoke, awkwardly losing eye-contact with the Principal, Hermes on the other hand, seemed to be distracted by all the things in the room, such as the multiple degrees on the other side of the Principal's desk.

"I see...it's late into the school year though, are you certain he can keep up?" He asked, oblivious as he checked the papers. "Yes...I'm certain..."

"Alright...go back to your class, I'll handle the paperwork."

After that I merely sat in the classroom all day, a little worried for the guy, Mr. Martini was teaching history class about Roman and Greek Mythology and the difference between them, recommending we get some of the Illiad, Odyssey and probably Ovid's Metamorphoses to compare Roman and Greek Culture...

I thought the Greek books were mainly Homer and Hesiod...Isn't Illiad and Odyssey both Homer? Or am I getting it mixed up? I sighed as he approached me, probably wondering where my books on Hesiod or Homer were.

"Mr. Brown...how are you?" He asked, right...last I saw him I passed out during the exams...though I never really liked history I can always appreciate Mr. Martini, he actually cares for us kids struggling to survive childhood and adulthood at the same time. "Fine...I'll try not to pass out next time." I said quietly and he looked at me sternly. "You mean you'll take good care of yourself more right?" He asked, I nodded.

He's basically everyone's dad...if you think about it...doesn't have favorites, treats everyone fairly and helps out the slow learners and those with ADHD or Autism.