Chapter 5: "Amongst the Sand"

The next day, Rex and Marie started their first official date. They walked through the streets of the city, deep in conversation.

Despite it being ten in the morning, the nearest ice cream stand was open for business. The two sat down on a bench, enjoyed a sweet treat.

Marie especially. After a night of proper rest, she was back to her usual self.

She placed a spoonful of strawberry ice cream in her mouth before she continued speak.

"Oh, also. Lastly...I dated a prince from Noctis named 'Louis'. He also ended up being a major jerk."

"Noctis? That's the planet where it's always night, right?"

"Uh huh! Noctis is Latin for Night. It's kind of in the kingdoms name. It's a beautiful place, I just didn't like dating him."

"I see...you dated a lot of guys." Rex chuckled, "You weren't kidding when you said you were looking for a prince."

Marie blushed slightly, "If I'm honest, you're my best prince so far. This date is already the best. It's meaningful. We actually get to talk."

"I'm really glad you're enjoying it. That makes me happy."

Apocalypseburg citizens walked past the two, giving them dirty stares. Marie noticed, and frowned. She slowly scooted away from Rex.

He blinked, "What's wrong?"

"Everyone is looking. I don't think they're very fond of their leader going out with a Systarian. I don't want you to get a bad reputation. Couldn't you loose your position by dating the enemy?"

"I...never actually thought about that. Just because I don't see you as an enemy...doesn't mean everyone else doesn't."

"Opinions are hard to change." Marie sighed, "I just don't want you to get in trouble because of me."

"Right. Well...if it makes you comfortable, we can go somewhere else. Somewhere a little bit more quiet."

"Yes. Oh! But let me finish my ice cream first!"

The Princess are the rest of her frozen dessert in a hurry. Rex chuckled at her, finding her incredibly cute.

After her cup was empty, she handed it to him.
"All done!"

He showed a smile, before standing up. He placed Marie's and his own empty cups into a nearby trash can, before he turned towards her.

"I know a place we can go."
"Lead the way."

She smiled brightly, and walked over to him. The two continued walking through the city, hoping to leave it soon enough.

With not much else to do at the moment, Marie started up the conversation again.

"You look really hot in that coat by the way."
"Oh? Thanks. It's my favorite. I pretty much wear it every day."

"It's the first thing I noticed when I saw you yesterday morning. Fits you wonderfully." She whispered, a bit giddy.

"Your dress looks nice on you too."

"This old torn up one? Gosh, you are literally too sweet." The Princess nudged him playfully, "I have nicer dresses back home, but none of them would last out here."

"I understand that."

Marie placed her hands over her skirt, as she got lost in her own thoughts for a moment. The sound of the city started to blur, and fade into the distance.

"This is going to sound strange but...I feel like even before we met, I was having dreams about you."

"Huh? About me?"