Chapter 9: "Rage"

After everything was sorted out in Noctis, Rex and Marie returned to Apocalypseburg with Lucy.

It wasn't much, but for the meantime, the Commander gave her a spare apartment to stay in. The couple had to think about how they were going to confront Watevra about the truth.

It wasn't necessarily easy to explain, and Marie wasn't even sure if she should bring her boyfriend with her. Knowing the fact that the Systarians still weren't fond of him.

They also considered just writing a letter, but wondered if that would be too rude. Considering important things were often discussed in person.

The two seemed stuck on their decision.

Due to the lack of sleep, they gave themselves a day to rest and recover. That next morning seemed peaceful, especially since Watevra had almost no more pills to give. Apocalypseburg had no attacks or interruptions.

Rex and Marie lay asleep, cuddled up close in the same bed. She was snuggled into his chest, and had her arm wrapped around him.

His alarm clock sounded, right on time, disturbing his peaceful sleep. He woke up, and slowly reached out his hand to turn it off.

He lay there for a few sweet seconds, before opening his eyes and staring at the ceiling. Marie hugged him tighter, and groaned quietly.

"Don't go yet..." She muttered.

"I'm sorry, Starlight. I have work to do."
"But I don't. You should stay with me."

"I wish I could."

He kissed the top of her head, before sitting up. His girlfriend yawned, and sat up with him. She rubbed her eye, and fixed her messy hair.

"You've been through worse than me." The Commander continued, "You should stay in bed. It's still early."

"Fine...but can I at least have a kiss first?"

He chuckled softly, then accepted her request. The two shared a sweet kiss, before he finally got out of bed.

Marie lay back down, and snuggled into the pillows.
"What do you have to do today anyway?"

"Ya know, stuff." He started getting dressed, "Organizing. Directing. Hopefully releasing criminals. We'll see how things go."

"Hmm...do you guys have donuts?"

Rex smiled, "Yes. I'll bring some to you before I start working."

"Thank you. Love you."

After the Commander finished dressing, he adjusted his coat, and walked towards the bathroom. Before her could enter it however, his girlfriend called out to him once again.

"Honey."

He held the doorframe, "Yeah?"

"I think I've decided. We should tell Watevra together. It's the best approach. I know it's scary, but I think it's the only way for her to truly see what we mean."

"...yeah, you might be right. I've never actually seen the Queen face to face before. Just in photos and by voice."

"She's...difficult to understand sometimes, but if we can get this whole thing cleared up, I think she'll get better." Marie replied.

"I hope so, because I want this war to end. Even
if it will take some time to adjust afterwards."

————————————

Lucy walked through the streets of Apocalypseburg, just taking in the scenery of the city. After being trapped in one place for so long, it was nice to finally see something different.