Maggie

I was brought back to the past as I glanced into his mocking eyes across the table.

I recalled a long corridor with beige walls and a white trim. Atop me was a glass chandelier. With bouncy feet, I began my stroll around the acting school. I had just finished an assignment to memorize a short film script. My smile seemed to go across my whole face.

I was happy. I had taken an excruciating test to enter a prestigious program in my acting school a couple of weeks ago. I ended up passing. In a couple of days, everything would have been different for me. I would have been in a new area with new people and new opportunities.

As I continued my walk in the hall, I overheard a bunch of voices in the next room. A loud slam hit a surface.

"Here. This is a thousand dollars. Take it," a feminine voice commanded. "I will do whatever it takes to get my son into this program."

Filled with curiosity, I crept closer to the door.

After a moment of silence, another angry voice spoke. "I don't get what you don't understand. Another student has already gotten the spot. The program is not a matter of money, but merit. It's not my fault she earned a higher score."

My heart dropped once I realized they were talking about me. I spent a year studying for the test. I gave up relaxing nights and all my tears up for it, just for it to be taken away? Tears bubbled in my eyes.

A hand hit a surface again. "If you don't let him into the program, I swear I will destroy this school. You won't have a job again," the woman mumbled.

A loud sigh filled the room.

"Okay," another voice mumbled. My heart dropped as I heard the principal accept her demands. The sound of papers flipping filled my ears. "I will see what I can do. Please look through these papers for me."

I jolted when I heard footsteps getting closer. The door slowly creaked open. I quickly ran to a corner.

I peeked out of the corner to see a tall figure in a suit exiting the room. I stared at a pair of blue eyes, and I just felt pain, a great pain in my heart. It was the agonizing heartache filled with disappointment, betrayal, anger, pain, and loss.

Landon's bleak eyes stared back at me. He just blinked before turning around and going further down the corridor.

Back then, every night, I would always think the same thing: "Couldn't I just have one thing?"

I thought this as I cooked dinner for my family, as I told them what happened, and as I told my only friend at the school until they all left.

Until the only friend I had realized I wasn't enough for her. I guess I wasn't pretty, smart, or rich enough for her. Maybe that's why she got closer to Landon the second I lost my position at the new school and he took it instead.

˙✧˖°📷 ༘ ⋆。˚

I flinched back to reality as the director cleared his throat. "So as you all should know, this movie is a Cinderella remake. Magnolia over there is the female lead, and Landon, you all should know him, is the male lead."

I sighed and sunk back into my seat. The whole time we sat at the table I put all my effort into not making any eye contact whatsoever with Landon.

"Today we will just be signing contacts and taking the concept photos. Magnolia, after you have signed the contract, you and Landon will go and take your concept photos."

I nodded.

Soon I entered a white colored room with many mirrors and beauty products everywhere. A tall woman waved to me with a bright grin on her face.