Chapter 4

"Frederick, where did you get such fine animals?"

Carl is speaking to Frederick as they stand looking at a pasture of cattle fat from grazing in the lush grasses waffling in the cooling breeze.

"Oh, just from an acquaintance— a good friend of mine, really."

The two men chuckle, and Frederick brings a fat cigar to his lips.

Carl had gifted Frederick the expanded land for the cattle when Frederick was just starting out in the ranching business. The tiny cluster of cattle Carl had also given Frederick had grown into a massive herd dominating the Chicago market. All of these things seemingly given out of pure generosity were, of course, part of a business agreement.

Every two years, Carl and his wife Wilber (Wilber being second cousin to Frederick) make the long journey first by carriage, then by train, then by long-distance stagecoach from their estate in the northern quarter of the state of New York to the ranch house that used to be Wilber's grandfather's small cabin. Marty and Beverly also make the trip down to visit with the family.

The trip is part social call, part business meeting. The journey gives Carl a chance to check on the gift cattle and ensure Frederick is keeping them in good condition.

"I've got my gang of wranglers and scouts camping out in the far field for your inspection if that's something you wanted to check up on. They're fine fellows, true veterans of the trail. I'm most proud of my point riders, though. They're hawk-eyed and shrewd critics of the wilderness. I'm sure you would agree with me. But I can call them up to the house if you would like to check their skill?"

"Oh, no, no. That won't be necessary!"

Carl waves off Frederick's offer.

"You have been in this ranching business for quite some time now and have done a fine job thus far. I quite trust your choices."

Carl turns his gaze to the cattle. His eyes are hazel and lightly squinted with crow's feet.

"In fact, I don't believe I've seen such fat longhorns this far west— and before they're on the trail! I am quite certain that we will be able to reach an agreement that will benefit us both, no?"

Carl takes a moment to draw on his own cigar, slowly letting the oily blue haze climb up into the sky. Frederick takes this as his opportunity to bring up the topic of the new business request.

"Yes, of course. I am quite looking forward to sitting down with you and the Waterton fellow later tonight to discuss our arrangement.

As for the cattle, it's really all thanks to Victor and Philip. You remember those boys, of course. They've been with us for the longest, and I've never known two men to be so enlisted to their duties that they would stay faithful to one family for so long. Never seen anyone handle the trails better, either. I really don't know what I'd do without them."

Carl smiles and takes a cigar out of his mouth. Chuckling out a stream of fog as he does so.

"Yes! I remember those two. They're the ones who brought back that daughter of yours, right? Lily? Was that the one? It was Philip and Victor and...one other man, right? You said they worked for the girl's folks up in Alaska before their unfortunate accident."

Frederick feels the back of his neck begin to burn with an old familiar sting at the mention of his adopted daughter.

His spine prickles with sadness while his stomach churns in some blended combination of joy, bittersweetness, and bloodthirsty rage. Frederick can't explain where this last emotion comes from, so he chooses to tuck it away into a corner of his mind for later examination.