Chapter 1

The morning sun glinted off the red brick buildings and green quad lawns of Whitmore University's campus. Students crisscrossed the paths carrying backpacks and coffee cups, chatting and checking phones as they made their way to early classes. Near the mathematics building, a clock tower chimed nine times, the sound carrying across the grounds.

Professor Richard Turner weaved his way through the crowds along the pedestrian walkway. His tweed jacket and brown leather satchel gave him an academic air. With salt and pepper hair and glasses perched on his nose, Richard looked every bit the veteran professor even as he strode along with youthful energy.

He entered the doors of the Computer Science building, exchanging friendly nods with students who recognized him. Making his way to Lecture Hall C, he did a last minute review of his lesson notes before entering to set up. Students gradually filtered in, taking seats at the terminals. The first classes of neuro-linguistic programming and machine learning were always some of Richard's favorites to teach. The topics lent themselves to energetic lectures and discussions.

Once most of the seats were filled, Richard cleared his throat and began. "Good morning everyone. Last week we discussed the difference between weak and strong AI, and I posed the question of whether or not a computer could ever replicate all facets of human intelligence. There were arguments on both sides."

Richard clicked a button and his presentation slides appeared on the classroom projector screen. An image showed depictions of robotic bodies alongside a human brain. "We're going to dig further into that debate today. To start with..."

Over the next hour Richard led the students through content on machine learning advancements, AI knowledge representation, and simulations of consciousness. The students asked thoughtful questions which he fielded enthusiastically. AI ethics was a complex subject warranting deep inquiry.

As class wrapped up, a student named Emily raised her hand. "Professor Turner, I was reading about this robot called Sophia that was just granted citizenship status. Could that ever lead towards AI rights?"

"Excellent question," Richard said, packing up his notes. "There is certainly growing discussion around recognizing advanced AI systems as more akin to 'electronic persons' than simple chatbots. But for now Sophia still has limited autonomy for unstructured tasks. There are still clear differences in generalized intelligence capability between humans and machines."

The other students murmured interest as they tapped notes into tablets.

"For next week, read Chapter 4 on neural networks," Richard called out as students shuffled on backpacks and exited the hall. He was satisfied how the lecture had gone. Moments of intellectual sparring with the minds of tomorrow were definite job perks.

Making his way upstairs to the professor's offices, Richard thought back to Emily's question. It was astute to consider AI rights implications already. His Hub research team was making swift progress expanding the emotional intelligence responses in their lingual cloud. The last few code commits had nearly cracked self-referential humor as well.

Upon reaching his office door, Richard was surprised to see a slip of paper wedged in the frame. He slid it out and read the note asking him to meet with the Dean that afternoon to discuss spring teaching assignments. Richard sighed, his face falling. More freshman coding courses, no doubt. The administrative politics of professorship could certainly be dull at times.

Sitting down at his desktop computer, Richard clicked though his inbox, sipping from a travel mug of Earl Grey tea as he sorted through the new messages. There was an email from the grad student who was assisting his Hub project with database architecture. And a reminder about the upcoming machine learning conference Richard was slated to speak at next month.

As he went to close the tab, a new message popped to the top titled simply "This may interest you." Richard raised an eyebrow. He didn't recognize the sender's address. Likely spam, but he couldn't resist clicking it open nonetheless.