Chapter 31

Kakashi's POV

I managed to make it back to Hanaoka in time, carrying with me a load of money I've never thought I'd spend in a single day.

Where would I even display these four portraits?

My studio apartment is not big enough, hanging all of these in there would only make it feel smaller.

"Nice doing business with you," the brunette art agent started a small talk with me while I was sealing the four portraits on my storage scrolls. "We have an art gallery at Shizukamachi, feel free to drop by anytime if you're interested in buying more artworks from us." She offered her hand in a gesture for a handshake, and I reciprocated by shaking it, but didn't feel the need to say anything else anymore. The transaction was done so I left the place after that as I have no reason to stay there longer.

The festival will end today and I've heard there will be a fireworks show tonight at around eight o'clock and I'm looking forward to watching that.

I was informed that our group would be having an overnight stay and made reservations for a few nights at the nearby hot springs since everyone wanted to make the most of our short vacation here and enjoy as much as possible before returning home.

It's only a few minutes after six so there's plenty more time for me to spare before the start of the pyrotechnics show, so I decided to just stroll around the village until then.

As I was walking around, I immediately figured out that my companions were within the vicinity since Guy's voice was very loud and spotted them heading inside a yakiniku place. Joining them for a barbecue dinner seemed like a good idea since I have nothing to do until the fireworks show.

"Yo," I greeted my companions.

We were led to a private area since the seating capacity there can accommodate our big group. Aside from that, we liked the privacy it gives since shinobis often talk about village affairs whenever there's a gathering just like now.

"You've finally shown yourself after disappearing for half the day." Raidou commented as I took a seat next to him.

"Where have you been?" Genma asked while narrowing his eyes at me.

"Here and there," I replied vaguely.

"We honestly thought you went home already," said Kurenai.

"No, I was busy procuring the set of hokage portraits at the art exhibit." I revealed nonchalantly, as if it's a normal thing for me to do.

"No way! You bought those?" Aoba asked, he seemed not convinced that I was telling the truth. Couldn't really blame him if he doesn't believe me since it's costly to buy such things. The price of artworks can vary significantly based on the demand for the artist's work. Most of them are way too expensive, but some consider collecting art as an investment, as the value of an art piece increases over time more often than not.

"I told you people that I like those artworks. I take anything that catches my attention seriously." I feel kind of good telling them that.

"Geez. So you bought them just to prove a point?" Anko smirked while asking.

"Yes," I admitted. "But I wouldn't drop that much money if I didn't genuinely like them."

"How much did you spend, you idiot?" Genma asked. Not a lot of people can talk to me like how he does or call me names, but I wasn't offended since I also do similar things like that to him or those who I consider as friends.

I showed him my forefinger to represent the number one.

"One thousand ryo?" Ebisu asked in a joking manner.