grave

It's only been a month and we're having this conversation. 

"It killed all of them?" Kai asks softly. "Yeah, it was a pretty bad fire." He strokes my knee lightly. "I'm sorry baby. Where'd you go?" I lean into his touch. "There was an ally way not to far away from my house. It was a homeless community and they sort of took me in." His eyes go wide. "At five?" I nod. "It was...it was kind of bad." I laugh nervously. "Shit, it was really bad." I swallow the lump in my throat and lean against his bed frame. "What happened?" I don't want to talk about it, but something about his voice feels so safe.

"There aren't many ways for someone under age to make money. I had to do...do somethings." I scratch my neck trying to push out those memories. "Did they force you?" he asks with ease. "Sometimes, but it was the only way to get them to share food or....let me sleep in their tent," I whisper. He kisses my temple. "I'm so sorry baby," he says against my hair. "You're not still staying there are you?" I shake my head. "After I met Miko I knew I needed somewhere else for us to live. We found this abandoned convenient store." He pulls away giving me another shocked expression. "That's where you're staying? Baby, that's not safe."

"I know but I don't have anywhere else." He runs his fingers through my hair, massaging my scalp. "Himiko went to stay with Dabi, why don't you move in here with me?" Now it's my turn to look at him crazy. "It's different. Himiko and Dabi are so insane they'll get married any day now," I explain. "It's not good for you to live by yourself. You know I have the room. Please, baby, it's not safe."

Himiko didn't even know I still in the store. I told her I went to stay on campus so she would stay with Dabi without feeling guilty.  I hate lying to her but I don't want to stop her from being happy. "I don't know Kai," I mumble, embarrassed that I'm having doubts. "Hey, it's okay. You can trust me, I'll never let anything bad happen to you. You know that." His words are comforting. How can I not believe him? "Okay, but only because I know you won't drop it." He gives me a soft kiss on my lips. "I love you." I never knew those words could be said so early on. Maybe this is normal. I wouldn't know, no one has ever loved me. Not like this. "I love you too." 

He kisses me again, moving down to my cheek. I giggle as he repeatedly kisses my jaw. "Kai," I laugh. "Hm?" I hold in my breath. "One of the last things I remember about my mom is her telling me that I needed to find someone to love and someone to love me. And I think I have." He pulls me closer to him. "I will always love you." He trails his lips to my neck and then something changes. 

He goes from soft kissing to sucking. Shit, that'll leave a mark. "Kai, wait." He licks the spot and starts biting. I let out a gasp. "Kai, stop!" I grab his shoulder and push him off. He just smiles. "You know you're irresistible," he purrs into the sore spot. He rest his head on my shoulder and wraps his arms around my waist. "So pretty," he mumbles. "Kai that...that really hurt," I whisper. "I'm sorry honey." He lays down next to me and buries his face in my back. "You're mine." I smile and place my palm over his folded hands. "Always yours."