Chapter 9

A few weeks had passed since Jack and Grace had met and they had some sort of relationship. She liked him, she really did. He'd always play with her and make a fuss of seeing her; she'd always ask Alex when she'd see her Uncle Jack. The first time she said it Alex nearly cried, the two people he cared for most in the world were making it work.

Now Jack sat on Alex's living floor, Grace's teddy bears around him as he took part in a teddy bear picnic.

"Do you want some tea?" Grace asked she was holding a pink teapot and cup waiting for his answer.

"Yes please," Jack replied.

She poured out the imaginary tea and handed it to him; Jack took a fake sip and told her how good it tasted.

"Don't go ruining your dinner with all that tea," Alex called from the kitchen.

He was cooking why Jack played with Grace; it had become quite a normal routine for them. Jack was surprised at how much he enjoyed spending time with the little girl; she was exceptionally clever like her father and just fun to be around. Jack never thought that's what it would be like to have a kid, he thought it was all changing dirty dippers and telling them off for embarrassing you.

"It's imaginary Daddy!" Grace called and Jack laughed.

"Well in that case I think Jack needs some more," Alex said.

Grace poured more tea into Jack's little purple cup and he smiled gratefully.

"Dinners ready guys."

Alex walked over to the table, plates balancing on his arms. Today there was a beanie covering most of his hair, he was still dressed in his work clothes but the poor boy looked exhausted. Jack had tried to talk to him about work and money but he'd only brushed Jack off saying he was fine.

On his way to the table Jack picked Grace up, swinging her around and dropping her into her high chair, she was giggling all the time. Alex was smiling; his tired eyes lit up like Christmas, Jack just wanted to kiss him.

Jack took his seat next to Alex, his hand finding Alex's under the table and entwining their fingers together.

"I have something I'd like to say," Alex announced.

They both turned to look at him, Alex biting his lip before spitting out what he what had been on his mind.

"You both have been getting on so well and that makes me really happy. I was thinking... I was thinking that you Jack might like to have Grace for the weekend."

His words take a moment to sink in with both Grace and Jack. She reacts first, loving the idea and asking her farther to let it happen. Jack stays quiet, have her for a weekend? Watch her all by himself? Surely there was no way he was ready for that. He couldn't look after that bundle of energy on his own, no way.

"So Jack, what do you think?" Alex asked.

"Please Uncle Jack," she begged.

"Hmm I'll have to speak to work," Jack answered.

Alex smiled and leant over to kiss Jack's cheek. The meal continued as Alex asked about what Grace had leant and she rattled on about something. Jack wasn't listening, he just watched the little girl in front of him, he hadn't realised how far in he'd gotten. He liked spending time with Grace but he couldn't do reasonability. It was a leap he was not ready to take.

The night went on much as it usually did. After dinner Alex took Grace off to bed, not before she'd hugged Jack and wished him goodnight. Alex would come back and normally they'd talk, Jack wanted to be able to explain why he couldn't have Grace for the weekend. But almost as soon as Alex sat down again he was sleep, his head resting on Jack's shoulder as he finally got the rest he needed. Jack ended up carrying the boy back to his room, stripping him down to his boxers and tucking him in. Jack gave Alex one last sweet kiss before saying goodnight and leaving Alex's apartment.