Moments: Like Father, Like Son

"What the...?" Benedict's voice fades out, standing by the window.

"What is it, my love?" you ask mildly, taking a bite of toast as you read the newspaper.

"Thomas... he is running full pelt down the lawn... absolutely nude," he answers, perplexed, ".... and there goes Abigail..." he adds, referring to your nanny, "she can barely keep up, poor thing."

Wiping the toast crumbs from your fingers onto a serviette, you get up, walk over to join your husband at the window, and have to stifle your giggle behind the back of your hand as you observe the tableau before you.

Out in the early morning sun is your youngest child, now four, running circles around his nanny, giggling loudly. As naked as the day he was born.

"You know you could go help her. Round up your son?" you twist your mouth into a bemused pout and look up at him, bumping him gently with your shoulder.

"She seems to have it in hand," he responds as you both watch her change direction and fool Thomas, catching him and picking him up to bring him back indoors. "I do hope this doesn't become a habit," Benedict comments airily as you retake your seats at the breakfast table.

"What makes you think it would?" you frown.

"No reason..." he responds, a little too hasty.

Something in his tone makes you think there may be more to that story.

_____

"Mummy, Thomas has taken all his clothes off again."

"Amelia, what are you talking about? And what do you mean by 'again'?" you question your daughter as she throws herself into the chair next to yours on the terrace outside your home.

"He is always doing it, Mummy. Last week he lost a game of tag and took off his clothes in protest. Nanny Abigail had to give him bonbons to put them on again before you and Daddy got back from your walk," she breezes, pushing a strand of hair from her face.

"Hmm, I never heard about that."

"Well, now he's done it again," Amelia rolls her eyes.

"Where is he?" you ask.

"He's down by the fish pond. He's upset about something," she shrugs.

"And his answer was to take his clothes off?" you check.

"Apparently," she says dryly, with an almost world-weary expression of someone who has seen such a thing far too many times.

"Let's go find out what is going on, shall we?" you offer your hand to your daughter and round the garden to the pond where sure enough, your son is naked—and looks absolutely furious.

"Thomas," you call gently, "what on earth is the matter, my love? And why are you without your clothes?"

"Frogs." He opines—as if that one word explains everything.

"Explain to me, please, and put your clothes back on."

"Do not want to," he pouts.

"That was not a suggestion, Thomas," you warn firmly and raise an eyebrow. All your children know better than to argue when you use that tone.

Thomas stomps back to the pile of clothes and starts to redress with tantrum-like dramatic flair, and again, you have to stifle your giggles about his antics behind your hand.

"Now come here, my love," you kneel now he is back in his shirt and trousers, holding your hands out wide for a hug, "and tell me what the problem is."

"The tadpoles are not frogs yet, and Daddy said they would be soon. I want to see frogs Mummy," he huffs into your shoulder as he accepts your embrace.