Chapter 9

Dorian:

I've waited patiently. Well, I did ask them what the surprise was like once a month, but still patiently. It has been almost a year since I ran into Rylan quite literally at the grocery store. It will be exactly a year tomorrow. We both graduated high school and were going off to university next September. It has also been close to a year since I kissed him in front of the convenience store by our old school. Ever since then we've been even more inseparable then we were before. Rylan still blames me for getting his "bathroom privileges" revoked but we always just end up laughing at it.

Rylan is sitting on the couch eating breakfast so I grab a bowl of cereal and join him. I sit right up against them, practically cuddling at this point. "Sooooo, what's the surprise?" I ask them between bites of food. "Soon." is all Rylan replies. He makes me wait a whole year and that's all he can say. "Ok, but how soon?" I ask. I've definitely asked him that a million times.

"Just wait until tomorrow night, I promise." Rylan assured before getting up to put away his breakfast. I pout and sink deeper into the couch. We didn't have much to do today so we spent most of it cuddled up on the couch watching TV. After many, many, many hours of doing that and the occasional snack break, it is finally night time. I've never gone to bed so early, I just need tomorrow night to be here as soon as possible.

Morning couldn't have come any slower. I feel like I will combust if I have to wait any longer. After waiting for the day to go by so incredibly slowly, Rylan tells me to go get ready. I pretty much jump out of my seat and run to my room to go get dressed. Once I come back out Rylan is already ready and waiting for me. We walk out the apartment door and Rylan tells me to follow him. I do so, and stay only a couple steps behind him. He's holding my hand and pretty much dragging me at this point. It's starting to get dark out. Within a few more minutes of walking we arrive at a park. Which is when I figure out exactly what the surprise is. There's already many people scattered around the field. Rylan and I navigate through all of them and find a nice spot near the middle. Rylan pulls out a blanket he had stuffed in their tote bag on the way here. He places it down and we sit down together. We talk for around 10 minutes before we hear the soar of a firework flying into the sky, before the light and colour explodes. I flinch and tense up at the sound. Rylan feels that and grabs my hand.

"It's ok, I'm here. Nothing will happen" he assures.

I nod and look back up at the sky as more fireworks go off.

He's right. They are kind of nice.