011 - Small Town Rumors (part 2)

LILIANA
Soon enough, Katherine and George were here. I just knew how horrible Cole would feel. And alex of course.
I noticed how Alex was with all of the Walters outside the office but Cole wasn't there.

I went out of that area and to the bleachers. I knew I'd find him there. "Cole?" I spot him and walk up to him. "Lily." His voice didn't have the usual amount of playfulness and sarcasm. I noticed how one side of his cheekbone was completely bruised.

"Shit. That looks bad." I mumble as I reach out to caress it, but he flinches. "Sorry, I just want to make it a bit better." I pull my backpack to the side of my body and search for some ointment. I started carrying it since me and Alex made our horse riding more frequent.

"Here." I apply some on my fingers then on to the bruised part of his face. I massage it and then pull out a plaster and place it on his cheek. "There."

His eyes drop from mine to my lips. I don't know how or when but we were soon just inches away. "I don't think Alex would like this, Lily." His hot breath steams on my face sending shivers down my body.

"Who cares about what he likes? I like you.. and do you like me?" I couldn't believe those words came out of my mouth. He had no answer. I sigh as I pull myself further away from him and sit beside him. "You used to play, right?" I ask as we stare at the open football field in front of us.

"Yeah. That was before I had an injury." The pain in his voice sends a bullet to my heart. I squeeze his hand as a comforting gesture for him to open up. "My parents... they spent a fortune on this leg, only to find out I couldn't play. It destroyed me. So I just started doing well, you know." He smiles but it doesn't reach to his eyes.

"You know Cole, your perfect just the way you are. It's really hard for you and I wanna be here. Just.. don't push me away." I scoot closer to him, expecting him to do that in return. "We should go. My parents must be waiting." His voice was once again cold.

Why? Just why?