Chapter 1

*Beep beep beep*

"What is that awful sound?"

*Beep beep beep*

"Ughhhh" gentle warmth begins to wake my body, as the dark canvas around me becomes painted with different hues of life as my eyes flutter open. Hazy shapes try to come into focus as my arms start to show the first signs of consciousness, dragging my body up further on the pillow, quickly succumbing back into the beautiful, velvety blanket of darkness.

*Beep beep beep*

The jarring sound jolts me back awake, flashing my eyes open too quickly to catch up with what I'm seeing around me. Lifting my head, I recognize the tell-tale splitting headache of a hangover. My thoughts collect as I look around my room. "Shit, since when is the sun so sunny?". Various articles of clothing are draped over a chair, a reminder of my indecisiveness. The clothes that were worn during last nights partying are plopped in a little pile right by the door, decorated with my heels. It seems even in my drunken state I was efficient in getting comfortable.

*Beep beep beep*

"Stooooop" I whine out, slapping my hand up and down the bed next to my face, finally making contact with the hard surface of my phone that's making that horrendous sound. After turning off my alarm, I repay it by tossing it down the bed somewhere.

My hands begin to lift the burdened weight of my half-drunken body as I spot something on my nightstand. A glass of water and two aspirin sit expectantly there and has never looked so appetizing. That sounds like magic right? Pretty close. It's all the courtesy of a lovely person named Nadine. She may be the reason I am in this hazy pain, but who can say no to their best friend wanting to go out? Memories of our partying flashes in my mind, causing me to become acutely aware of the taste in my mouth.

"Okay body, you need to move". My feet make contact with the solid ground of the floor as my body starts trudging ahead to the bathroom, shooting coldness through my feet. An awkward dance of walking while simultaneously shoving nearby slippers on, sprinkled with a dash of the dizzies has me falling sideways. My hand saves the day against the wall beside the bathroom, causing me to stumble in as I turn on the light. A few minutes later my teeth are brushed and my mouth is rid of the slimy taste of alcohol.

The reflection in the mirror is not nearly as bad as I'd thought I'd be greeted with. Somehow in my drunken state I remembered to take off all my makeup. I look at the trash can to find that there is indeed makeup stained wipes piled down at the bottom.A fuzzy memory suddenly plays of a cold sensation with Nadine wiping my face with makeup wipes as I sung her a song with whatever wits I had left. "That makes more sense". Just as the memory fades, I hear her voice travel from downstairs.

"Mira! Breakfast" Opening my bedroom door greets me with the smell of food, triggering my stomach to beg for anything other than alcohol and fried mozzarella sticks.

"You are amazing Nadine". I groan as I sit at the table and take a bite of waffles and a sip of coffee. I can feel myself coming back to life little by little.

"Do you have plans today?" Nadine eyes me with amusement as I devour my breakfast.

"Definitely not" I answer far too quickly. There's a reason I was more inclined to go out last night. "Remember though, tomorrow I have two classes and I work in the evening so I won't be here for dinner".

"Ooo! If that new romance comes in tomorrow can you get it for me?" Her eyes spark with excitement.

"I already have two preordered, don't worry" I swat her hand that's rummaging in her bag for her wallet. She lets out a huff of laughter.